Adding elastic straps/strings to Zeagle Ranger BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rotipisang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got my Zeagle Ranger BCD and the bladder is kinda large, it'd be better if it's slightly smaller to easily fit into my dive bag. Not much complaints there, it'd still fit but I'd have to push a little. Then I saw the modification done by Scuba Toys guys that Zeagle later on produced the Brigade followup model... cool mods, but I don't own a dive shop that has many BCs on the wall. Neither could I afford any more Zeagle BC nor the Zeagle's Elastic Bladder as replacement :)

Apart from trying to fit into the dive bag easily, I'm thinking of installing elastic straps/strings around the bladder. So that underwater when it's deflated, the elastic strap/string would automatically pull/contract the bladder neatly closer to the back/the tank. Would look/function pretty much like the elastic bladder used for the Brigade model.

Now, here's the question. Any advice on what sort or particular brand of elastic straps/strings I should use or look into? directions to existing accessories that would do the job, also appreciated.

Thanks.

Home Depot sells the black bungee cord (by the foot) in the tie-down and rope section of their stores. I believe the 1/8" or 3/16" is what you need. Buy the plastic clips from a camping store like REI.

WD

Ooops, sorry. I just saw that you were in Malaysia. Not sure if you have Home Depot stores there, but check the local hardware store.

WD

Thanks willydiver.

Yup I'm in Malaysia and there's no Home Depot :) I don't know if we have stores here that's equivalent of Home Depot. Now that you mentioned about camping store, I'll visit the outdoor center, they might have all sorts of elastic cords that I could use for the BC. I've got to find one that's not too strong so the BC would inflate easily.

Thanks again.

Find threads on SB about the drawbacks of what you are trying to do. If you don't know
how to go about your project, I have a feeling that you don't know how your BC's properties
are going to change. You might want to check out OMS BCs to get a better idea.
Besides, that project will add bulk in your divebag, not reduce it.

No worries PRL, I'm pretty much know what I'm doing with the BC and how BCs functions. I'm checking out any other options of materials available, hence the first post.

Ranger's lifting capacity is around 40lbs and the addition of contraction strings/straps hardly reduce that capacity as long as the bladder is capable of inflating to its required size. I hardly need much lifting capacity at the surface.

FYI, addition of elastic straps are already done by Zeagle at factory level but only to their Brigade and Escape model (and maybe others).

Anyway, thanks for the reminder.

wasn't refering to lift but force required to manually inflate the BCD. If straps to thick
you will have a hell of a time overpowering them with your lungs.
Tie-down straps should be available world-wide, but if you still have a hard time finding
them than try to cut thin straps out of a car inner tube (i don't recomend it)
As far as I know Zeagle offers elastic wings, not straps like OMS, but I could be wrong.

Rotipisang,

Check out the "shock cord" at
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...55&parent_category_rn=5404695&vcat=REI_SEARCH
It's $0.15/foot (USD) and REI will ship worldwid. No doubt, the shipping will be more than the cost of the cord but this is what you need.

Make sure you don't put too many loops around the wings to make it difficult to inflate manually or so the overpressure valve dumps on its own. But you already eluded that you are considering that. Good luck and let's see a picture when you're done!

WD

Willydiver, thanks for the link ... I'll work on it. For the connecting clip, I figured that I'll use the existing clip that's used for the chest strap, since I don't need the chest strap. It's removable and fit nicely to the bladder's "wing" (the one with Zeagle logo embroidered on), where the original design of the wing is to link/tie the bladder to the side pocket.

I'll try a few mods and test it thoroughly... and will post the pix once it's ready.

PRL, noted on the oral inflation resistance, thanks. will ensure that's tested too.

converting it so it works like a Knighthawk....I see *wink*

Back
Top Bottom