Adding D-Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graeme Tolton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be adding a couple of d-rings to my BCD. I got some nylon webbing and welded stainless d-rings. I just need to know what the best thread to use it and where to buy it.
Thanks in advance!

You want nylon upholstery thread. You will also need a light industrial grade sewing machine to do it right (straight stitch is all that's needed...nothing fancy) Home machines do NOT like webbing very much, although if you have a high-end one, the motor may be good enough to handle it. YMMV, but you'll have to play with the thread tension, needles, etc. I usually use a jeans needle with this kind of stuff.

Any decent fabric store will have the thread.

If you don't have a suitable machine, you can get a sewing awl and do it by hand. Seattle Fabrics (Welcome To Seattle Fabrics. We offer marine fabrics and outdoor fabrics such as Neoprene, lycra, sunbrella and more!) sells them, or most boating/sailing stores can hook you up. They're used for repairing the heavy boat canvasses.

Why are you not just threading them on the webbing directly with a tri-glide?

Coats and Clark makes upholstery thread and it can be found at any wal mart in the fabric department.

Oddly enough, most older sewing machines sew webbing just fine with a jeans needle as the motors were heavier, but also much heavier duty.

A shoe repair shop or tailor can also sew it on for you.

Thanks for the responses...it's not a bp/w, so no webbing to attach them to in that area... I am attaching them in the rear for better placement of my 30cf bottle. There are currently 4 on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom