Adding an Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keyeakman

Registered
Reaction score
I've never added anything to my first stage before. What is the process for adding a ew octo. Is it something I should let my LDS do or is it so simple I could do it myself?

What materials/tools are required.

It's a simple procedure you can do yourself with minimal tools. With an allen wrench, remove one of the LP port plugs on the first stage and screw in the hose of the octo in it's place. Hand tighten, then with an open end wrench, snug it down just a tad.

Most octos are factory set with higher than average inhalation efforts (.5 to 1.0" of water higher) and most first stages operate with an IP in the range of 120 to 145 psi. Consenquently you can usually install an octo yourself with acceptable results.

However if it is dealer installed, a good dealer/tech can tune it to your specific first stage and personal tastes and requirements.

Go really easy when snugging the hose in the LP port. You want to go just an extremely small bit past hand tight. Use a small (short) wrench and choke all the way up on the handle to reduce the potential to over do it.

I serviced a reg this year where the owner had installed an octo and over tightened it to the point that between the stretched/cracked threads and the corrosion and stress of a half season of diving, the octo hose literally fell off as I was putting a wrench on it. The guy's next dive most likely would have been short with a catastrophic air loss occuring after the hose separated.

If you buy an octo from the LDS, they will normally install it and tune it for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom