Add on lenses for XZ1 in PT-050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris196

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know there is some discussion in other threads about add on lenses for the XZ1.
I'd like to keep this to actual experience with the XZ1 - not theory.

What lenses work well and what doesn't.
I personally have a great interest in the inon UFL-165AD as I already own it.
I would really like to hear if anyone has tried that lense with the 10bar 67toAD adapter.

Further, I'm more interested in wide angle in general but would like to hear all actual experience with this camera in the OEM housing.

Thanks.

I know there is some discussion in other threads about add on lenses for the XZ1.
I'd like to keep this to actual experience with the XZ1 - not theory.

What lenses work well and what doesn't.
I personally have a great interest in the inon UFL-165AD as I already own it.
I would really like to hear if anyone has tried that lense with the 10bar 67toAD adapter.

Further, I'm more interested in wide angle in general but would like to hear all actual experience with this camera in the OEM housing.

Thanks.

The release date for the PT-050 is March 1st in the USA.
I'm sure that you will start getting some first hand reports soon after that.....

I can tell you with about 85% certainty that the Inon UFL165AD will NOT work well with the XZ1. This is based on having owned and used the lens for several years on several different cameras and several different housings and having done multiple experiments and measurements regarding the optical requirements of the lens vs mating camera/housing.

Why do I say this? The UFL165AD is a very small lens, it is a "compact" design. The rear element is only 30mm diameter. As well, the UFL165AD is intended for 35mm native lenses. Though it will work just fine with some cameras with a 28mm FL lens like the Canon S series, it must remain VERY close to the camera lens and the camera must be zoomed to 35mm to couple with the lens without vignetting. This does NOT take away effective DFOV. The mating camera lens must be less than 30mm diameter. The zoom range must be less than 4X and preferably 3X (Canon S series 3.8X) or less and in any case the camera lens must remain very close to the port, the port must be very short and the lens must be mounted such that it is as close as possible to the port and thus camera lens.

1. Inon UFL165AD rear optical element diameter is 30mm. Bayonet mount. Intended for 28mm FL native.

2. Fisheye UWL-04 rear optical element is approximately 38mm. A 52mm threaded mount, also ST bayonet, (52mm threaded version usually supplied with a 52mm to 67mm adapter). Intended for 35mm FL native.

3. Inon WAL100 series lens rear optical element diameter is 43mm. Available in 67mm mount. Intended for 35mm FL native.

4. Inon WAL100-28AD lens rear optical element is approx. 43mm. Available in 28AD bayonet mount. Intended for 28mm FL native.

5. Inon H series, a new lens, rear optical element is larger, I think it is 48mm. Available in H series bayonet mount. Intended for 28mm native.

From above, I think lens 3 will work with zooming to 35mm and careful, close mounting, with dome an excellent but large, heavy and expensive choice. I think the choice 1 and 2 will vignette, 1 severely, 2, well, let's not rule this one out just yet. I think lens 4 and 5 will work but there will have to be an adapter and this could be a trick, a trick worth pursuing nonetheless.

I could be wrong but since I am one of few who actually owns and has extensively used some of these lenses, my thoughts are probably reasonable estimations but of course, we shall see.

N

Last edited:
So, now that March 1st has come and gone, has anyone managed to get their hands on the housing and test which wide-angle lenses work (well) with the PT-050?

So, now that March 1st has come and gone, has anyone managed to get their hands on the housing and test which wide-angle lenses work (well) with the PT-050?

March first hasn't gone in much of the US. Gotta remember the international dateline. It's 2:22 pm March first where I'm at. IF the housings are available, most people are likely ordering them online and will get them in their paws later in the week... then you gotta wait 'til they actually dive with them and report back. In three to eight weeks we may start seeing reports from some numbers of divers that are not in the actual business of selling them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom