Actual Emergency Rescues???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Ok, as you know there is often more than one way to solve a rescue problem. It wasn't a zodiak, and was actually quite useless (illegal though it may be). We didn't use it to get over to the diver. Here's what we did:

Step 1. Victim orally inflates bc. And climbs out of it.
Step 2. Victim secures his light (leaving it still turned on) to the bc using the lanyard to one shoulder strap, and attaches his secondary light (also turned on) to the other shoulder strap. Then deflates the bc - which then sinks. It was a weight integrated, however if the diver was wearing a weight belt he could have easily secured it to the equipment.
Step 3. Victim crosses the kelp by crawling over the top. It's not difficult to do if you've ever tried it, and when it's thick like this bunch it's even easier. Diver makes it safely back to the boat - with all personal gear.
Step 4. Equipment rescue buddy pair goes and easily retrieves all the gear in about 35 feet of water.

May not be elegant, likely risked the gear in several ways, but it's how it happened, and it was a fun solution.

The solution at last!

That was a question for people who know kelp. I've never dealt with thick kelp and didn't know it could be crawled on (nor that it couldn't be boated through!)

Did you mention before that the water was only 35'? I don't remember that.

Well I guess I learned something today.

Let's have some more scenarios - this is good stuff.

Scuba once bubbled...
DiverBuoy,
Did "victim" have a snorkel and use it?
Yes, victim had a snorkel but did not use it - it wasn't necessary, when you crawl on kelp it suspends your head completely.

nitroxbabe once bubbled...
Did you mention before that the water was only 35'? I don't remember that.
Nope. But the equipment rescue pair would have gone to a hundred if necessary, and you know where the kelp grows really thick it ain't going to be deeper than 100' :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom