Action Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for an action camera. I've considered the Y1 4K but one review made it appear unstable. What is a good value camera that won't freeze or have firmware issues. Of course the Hero 6 would be great but something similar for less.

Not a budget camera. More in the midrange of prices. Thanks

the yi is pretty darn good for the money, but the hero5/6 has better white balance correction imo.

not a big deal as it can be fixed in post

with that said, flip filters and video lights will make a bigger difference once you get past the low end.

I’ve yet to have freezing issues with my Yi 4K. If the review you found is a year old or older, keep in mind a firmware update may have fixed the issue, they seem pretty good about that.

And the Yi 4K+ is literally the same Sony sensor as the Hero 6, for less. Although GoPro probably does a slightly better job processing the footage.

Yeah, I pulled the trigger on the Y1 4K. Will be using it in Puerto Galera.

No leaking housing on the model I purchased.

Reactions: Pao
I’ve yet to have freezing issues with my Yi 4K. If the review you found is a year old or older, keep in mind a firmware update may have fixed the issue, they seem pretty good about that.

And the Yi 4K+ is literally the same Sony sensor as the Hero 6, for less. Although GoPro probably does a slightly better job processing the footage.

And after I say that...
I had it freeze up on me after claiming that the card I used (and formatted in camera) was too slow. (it wasn't, and last used in that same camera.). Had to take it out of the case and pull the battery while buddy held me on the surface in Monterey. Re-Reformatted the card and it was fine. But the housing was fine for the dive after that, and the camera didn't seem to have any issues with the few drops of water that did get in during my precarious maneuver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom