Acquiring SOP's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boater Dan

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As our team evaluates all aspects of our operations and training, I would greatly appreciate receiving copies of any team's SOP's for review. If you have electronic copies, please send them in a private e-mail or if others are interested, share them on the site.

I thank you in advance.

Dan

indypddiver:
Boater Dan,

I could probably contribute to the cause. Let me get an electronic copy of the team SOPs and I'll send them asap.
Local PSD instructor is interested in what you have as well. might I get a copy mailed to me as well? Hope to hear from you soon you can mail it via email to diverscove@sbcglobal.net
thanks

indypddiver:
Just to update...I am trying to get an electronic copy of our SOPs to get to you guys.
Me to but get ahold of Seattle's team. They have, or at least used to have a good strict one. They have a real wide varity of conditions they have to work in. Kind of like what all of us have combined.

Gary D.

I need to redo ours as well and would like to see what anyone would have to offer. Please pm.

I think that this generic one from LGS would be a good starting point but will look to more input from the more experienced PSD's on here. What do you guys think of it?

http://www.teamlgs.com/Pages/standards.htm

Gary - how does one go about getting the ones from seattle?

thanks

Mark

bridgediver:
I need to redo ours as well and would like to see what anyone would have to offer. Please pm.

I think that this generic one from LGS would be a good starting point but will look to more input from the more experienced PSD's on here. What do you guys think of it?

http://www.teamlgs.com/Pages/standards.htm

Gary - how does one go about getting the ones from seattle?

thanks

Mark
Try this link for e-mailing them. There was a big mess with Seattle PD and the Fire Department that I think is settled. King county should be OK.

http://members.aol.com/cpratt1010/Rescue1.htm

Good luck and try to keep your SOP simple as possible. Getting to detailed could mean trouble as could being to simple.

Gary D.

I've heard quite a bit of discussion on the legal ramifications of “SOP” with standard operating guidelines or recommended operating procedures leaving a little more breathing room when up against a legal wall.

We're in the process of revamping ours, including a name change...

Dave

The only SOG we have is for "Drownings" and is quite basic:
SIZE-UP/ASSESSMENT OF CONDITIONS

I. While en route:
a. Consult the Lake Map Book for best entry location.
b. Pull the Lake Drawings and Witness Questionnaire forms.

SAFETY CONSIDERATIONS AND CHECKLIST

1. Access
a. Consider area for spotting Dive and Rescue Units.
b. Advise incoming units of best access points.
2. Safety
a. Personal Flotation Devices are mandatory if rescue attempts are made prior to the arrival of the Water Rescue Team, e.g. from boats, docks, wading out to victims, or on thin ice.
b. PFDs are mandatory for all personnel in Fire Department boats.
3. Scene Control
a. Use APD to assist with crowd control if necessary.
b. Identify credible witnesses.

OPERATIONAL GUIDELINES

A. Interview Witnesses

1. Have witnesses return to the exact spot where they viewed the accident.
2. Mark the spots. Use traffic cones, spray paint, surveyor tape.
3. Isolate witnesses from other witnesses and bystanders.
4. Use Witness Questionnaire forms for interviewing each witness.
5. Using a Lake Drawing, have witness identify where they saw the incident occur.

B. Search Area

1. Compile information from Lake Drawings and Witness Questionnaire forms to identify area for initial search.
C. Operations

1. Upon arrival of the Water Rescue Team the Team Leader will command the Operations Sector.

D. Patient Care

1. State of Alaska Hypothermia and Cold Water Drowning Guidelines and American Heart Association CPR Standards will be followed.
On the other hand our P&I (Procedure and Instruction) for Dive Team ops, though general, is probably more like what you're looking for?
1.0 Procedure & Instruction

1.1.1 The Department recognizes that safety is of prime importance in Dive Rescue operations. To reduce the special hazards commonly associated with Dive Rescue, special emphasis must be given to training in Dive Rescue skills, physical abilities, and operational procedures.

1.1.2 Due to the variety of water sources within the Municipality as to type, location and seasonal changes, an Anchorage Fire Department Dive Safety Manual is established to provide operational guidelines for Dive Rescue and Cook Inlet rescue operations.

1.1.3 At all times, it is expected that members of the Dive Rescue Team will: (1) conduct themselves in a positive, productive, and professional manner, (2) contribute to the goals and well-being of the Team, and (3) participate in the activities and business of the Team as needed and/or as directed. In addition, officers of the team, are expected to provide team leadership and contribute to identifying and attaining the goals and objectives of the team. Failure to adhere to these standards of conduct WILL result in removal from the team. (The Dive Control Board will recommend Dive Team disciplinary actions.)

1.1.4 All department members need to be aware that AFD Dive Team Members are not allowed to dive in any conditions or at any level at which they have not been certified by AFD.

1.2 Membership to the Dive Rescue Team is limited to personnel of the following ranks: Firefighter/EMT, Firefighter/Paramedic, Fire Apparatus Engineer, Fire Captain, Sr. Fire Captain, and FTS Special Operations. A Battalion Chief may be appointed as Program Director at the option of the Fire Chief.

1.2.1 Team size, manning, and personnel assignments are outlined in Addendum #1 of this P & I.

1.2.3 The non-incident organizational structure of the Dive Rescue Team shall be as shown on the attached flowchart. (See attached Flowchart Dive-1)

1.2.4 A Diving Control Board has been established to provide over-sight and direction to the Dive Rescue Team. At a minimum, the board will be comprised of the Station 4 company officers 1 ea. A/B/C shifts who are members of the Dive Team, as well as the Dive Team Leader and FTS Special Operations. The board will meet at least bi-monthly.

1.2.5 Refer to the AFD Dive Safety Manual for further descriptions of the roles and responsibilities for each of the positions listed in the organizational structure.

1.3 During a water rescue incident, the command structure of the Dive Team will be such that it operates as a group or division within the Incident Management System used by the Anchorage Fire Department.

1.3.1 A minimum of six dive team members - a primary diver, back-up diver, 90% diver (second back-up diver), Dive Supervisor, primary tender, and back-up tender, must be present on scene before dive operations commence.
1.3.2 For all dive operations, whether training or operating at the scene of an incident, a team member will be designated as the Dive Supervisor who will direct the Dive Team division or group. The role of the Dive Supervisor will normally be assumed by the on duty Shift Leader and if he/she is not available, the Assistant Shift Leader or FTS Special Operations. If none of these individuals are on the scene of an incident, the senior on scene member of the dive team should assume the position of Dive Supervisor until relieved.

1.3.3 The Dive Supervisor may initially be the Incident Commander but should be relieved of this role as soon as possible. The Dive Supervisor may also be the 90% diver but will not enter the water without delegating their role to another diver. The Dive Supervisor may also designate on scene Assistant Dive Supervisors if the incident warrants.

1.3.4 Consideration should be given to having a Dive Team representative present at the Command Post to keep the Incident Commander informed of the progress and/or the needs of the dive operation.

1.3.5 All required training will be conducted on duty.

1.4 Team members are encouraged and will be allowed to check out dive gear for off duty recreational diving if sufficient equipment is available.

1.5 Department personnel who have passed their one year probation period and want to join the Dive Rescue Team may be granted Trainee status. The minimum requirement for a member to apply for a Trainee position is to hold an Advanced Open Water certification from a nationally recognized SCUBA certifying agency such as (NAUI, PADI, etc.). Those granted trainee status would be able to train with Dive Rescue Team members as an OJT Dive Tender when program scheduling and dive conditions permit. Certified OJT Dive Tenders will be allowed to become Trainee Divers as dive team positions, training classes and opportunities permit.

1.5.1 Department personnel may apply for a Dive Rescue Team Trainee position by submitting an FD-1 and copies of their certifications through their Dive Team Shift Leader to the Dive Team Leader after completing their nine month probationary period with the Anchorage Fire Department. Members will be listed on the Teams Trainee List based on the date of receipt of their application to the Team.

1.5.2 Department members who are on the old OJT list will have their position on the list transferred to the Trainee Diver list. Their position on the Trainee Diver list will be grand-fathered for a period of one year from the date of issue of this P & I in order to allow those on the list the opportunity to obtain an advanced open water certification. If after one year the individual has not obtained this certification, they will be removed from the list.

1.5.3 The Diving Control Board will make selection of new team members. Consideration will be given to an individual’s position on the Trainee Diver list but preference may be given to those with advanced certifications and experience regardless of their position on the list. However, if team membership is offered to an individual who is not first on the Trainee Diver list, those who are by-passed will receive notification justifying this action.

1.6 A copy of the AFD Dive Safety Manual is to be distributed to all AFD Fire Stations and one copy each to the training center and fire department administrative offices.

1.6.1 The AFD Dive Safety Manual will receive up-dates throughout the year in the form of Dive Safety Bulletins. The Dive Safety Bulletins will be placed into the Dive Safety Manual as they are received. Each January the Dive Safety Manual will be up-dated to incorporate the Dive Safety Bulletin changes made throughout the previous year. A record of change will be kept in the front of the Manual

1.6.2 For further information on Dive Rescue Team operations, refer to the AFD Dive Safety Manual.

1.7 The Dive Rescue Dispatch protocols are included in this P & I as Addendum #2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom