ACI 2.2.0 Vista - move data to laptop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frito Bandito

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy,

On longer dive trips the dive data was rolling off my Elite T3 before I could get it uploaded to my desktop computer (Vista Ultimate) at home. I bought a cheap laptop (Vista Basic) so that I could upload dive data after each dive and so keep the Dive Sample Rate at 2 seconds.

I would like to move the data I've already collected, as well as configuration information, from desktop to laptop. The problem is that I can't find the data files. When using ACI the dialogs that appear for Open Log and Restore Dive Log show files in the directories (C:\Program Files\AERIS\Aeris Computer Interface 2.x\Logs, C:\Program Files\AERIS\Aeris Computer Interface 2.x\Backup). When I use Windows Explorer, the directories don't show the files.

It appears that some sort of virtual file system is being used.

How does a person go about moving ACI data from one computer to another?

Thanks,
Dennis

I won't be much help here, but I wanted you to know that I have an Elite T-3 and I have no issues seeing my files. They are right where you mentioned them. Could it be you have filters set on Windows Explorer? What happens when you use the Windows desktop to find the folders instead? Are you sure you are looking at the same drive the program is using? And if you created a dive log file, then moved it to another location, it will stay in the new location (but you would have had to open it through the file selection window when you first used it). Those are all the possibilities I could think of off-hand.

The problem with the software is it exports to a .txt-type file, but only imports MS Access files. So I don't see any way to combine data from two different files unless you have MS Access and can somehow add the new data to the old data file through MS Access. This assumes the data is exported in the same order it is stored within the Access file (I can't confirm this). I hope you do find a way to do it. It makes a lot of sense to have a feature to combine data from multiple files. Best of luck in finding a way. If you do figure it out, please let me know.

Jim

Do a search for a DLG file, copy it and move it to your Vista Basic computer.

After a little research I found the files. I was seeing Vista file virtualization. I installed ACI while logged in as admin and run it while logged in as a limited user. The application sees the file where it wants it, but it's really somewhere else. In this case, "C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\AERIS\Aeris Computer Interface 2.x" Now to see about moving the files to the laptop. There are more than just the .DLG files.

I wonder if the 2.2.2 version is more aware of Vista access control?

Success!

First I ran the program on the laptop from the limited account. That included exercising all functionality so that all of the virtual directories present on the desktop machine were created. (Some of the virtualization information is in the registry so I had to let Vista do the directory creation.) Then I copied over the various files and all was well.

Dennis,

How were you able to combine the old data from your computer at home and the new data from the laptop you used on vacation?

Jim

Sorry, I must not have been clear about the situation. I bought the laptop for use in the trip I'm starting tomorrow morning. There was no 'real' data on the laptop until the move was completed. I wanted to move my data intact from the desktop to the laptop.

Because of the virtual directories, I first had to create information on the laptop by downloading dives and configuration information from the T3. Once the directories were created I simply moved the files to the laptop from their corresponding locations on the desktop. I was in business.

The process would have been much simpler if the software placed user data in the user data directory structure instead of in the executable program directory structure. The idea is to be aware that the user might be running the program from a limited account. In fact, the user should be running the program from a limited account. It is a much safer computing practice. Install it from an administrator's account, but use it from a limited account.

So much for beating that dead horse...

Hi Dennis,

Oh, okay. I thought you combined the data from both. My misunderstanding. Hopefully, the engineers who work on the program will eventually come p with import and export functions that are compatible so data can be combined, especially from multiple computers - so all dive data can be in one file even if one switches to another dive computer. Anyway, thanks for the response.

Jim

Sajac - while it's not an ideal solution, you might consider using Dive Log 4.0 to import data from multiple databases into a single electronic dive log.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom