Accomodation near Zero Gravity, Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fionab

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not sure where I should put this, Mexico or here. I am sure someone will move it if it is in the wrong place.

I have some tentative plans next year to go and do some cenote dives with Zero Gravity in Mexico and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for accommodation close to the operation and dive sites.

I am guessing a rental car is essential but as I would probably be going solo is this safe.

I have some tentative plans next year to go and do some cenote dives with Zero Gravity in Mexico and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for accommodation close to the operation and dive sites.

I am guessing a rental car is essential but as I would probably be going solo is this safe.

If you are diving with Zero Gravity, ask Chris about accommodations. Puerto Aventuras and Akumal are the two closest towns to ZG, and if you're solo Puerto Aventuras is probably better. More places to eat.

When we did guided trips with Diablo Divers, Dennis would pick us up in Puerto Aventuras. As the result, a rental car was not required. However, for ZG, I am not sure. If you need to meet them at the shop everyday, then you'll need a rental car.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Mexico.

If you are diving with Zero Gravity, ask Chris about accommodations. Puerto Aventuras and Akumal are the two closest towns to ZG, and if you're solo Puerto Aventuras is probably better. More places to eat.

Thanks Don, yes they told me where they are. I just wondered if anyone had any nice accommodation recommendations.

I PM'd you a few places. What's your budget and expectations for accommodations?

"nice" for me is A/C, hot shower, clean room, and enough space for all my dive gear. For others, it could be marble floors and granite counter tops.

I haven't even thought of a budget, but needs to be nice but not one of those huge hotels with hundreds of rooms.

At the moment the dollar rate for us is very good, so open to suggestions.

Fiona, you might PM rjack321, if he doesn't weigh in here soon. I know he and his wife have stayed in Puerto Aventuras and liked their accomodations.

I don't know about the need for a rental car. The taxi ride from Playa del Carmen to Zero Grav with two of us was about $20, and from Puerto Aventuras would be much less. What I don't know is how available taxis are there -- They're everywhere in PDC.

If you stay in PA you shouldn't need a rental car if you don't plan on doing anything other than diving with ZG or Dennis. If you stay anywhere else I would go with the car. I can't imagine trying to do without, especially hauling around dive gear.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with any condo in PA. There are also 2 hotels there but I can't think of the name of them off the top of my head. One is something like "Odyssey" and the other is a "Sun-something".

There is also Leon's place at Xpu-ha but it is more rustic (no ac, no fridges, no cooking appliances).

Also check with Chris and see if the ZG condo in PA is available. It's right above his place and is decent.

Leon's is closed.

you can always stay at our place in PA (see my signature). There are lots of nice condos in PA. for ocean diving there is aquanauts (Dennis) and two of the three zero gravity instructors live in PA. therefore, i am sure you would not need a rental car although i'd recommend one. there is a lot to see in the area which makes a car worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom