accidental photography ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
So after a couple of nice dives on Friday I downloaded my pics onto my laptop and was reviewing them when ... hello ... something showed up I hadn't even seen during the dive.

I had found this lovely anemone, and was so focused on taking a pic of the anemone that I didn't even see the candy stripe shrimp hovering at its base.

1125_San_Juans_023.jpg

I have still not ever actually "seen" a candy stripe shrimp ... but I did manage a pretty nice photo of one, don't you think?

So much for my reputation as a critter finder ... :browsmile ... looking at the photo I have to wonder how I could "not" see it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm jealous. I just got started in the U/W photography stint a couple of months ago (take a peek at my newbie gallery)

I see pictures like that and think "Wow! There's gotta be hope for me yet..."

Beautiful picture, great colors. If you don't mind me asking what camera / lens / distance / strobe setting / film?

D.

When Laurel Lefevre did our Marine ID course, he said half of the fun of underwater photography was reviewing the pictures when you got home to see what you captured that you didn't know was there!

Daylonious:
I'm jealous. I just got started in the U/W photography stint a couple of months ago (take a peek at my newbie gallery)

I see pictures like that and think "Wow! There's gotta be hope for me yet..."

Beautiful picture, great colors. If you don't mind me asking what camera / lens / distance / strobe setting / film?

D.

It's a basic digital point-n-shoot (Fuji F10) ... no strobe, just the built-in flash.

Hope? I should say so ... I got this camera in September, and beyond a couple of basic functions still have no idea how to actually use it. In fact, if it does something I don't understand I have to turn it off and turn it back on again (the "Microsoft" option) and hope for the best ... :11:

Two things I do know ... get real close to the subject, and hover as still as you can while the camera auto-focuses.

The rest I'll leave to the real photographers ... I'm just out to have a bit of fun ... :D

BTW - here's the pics I decided to save (28 out of over 250 shots) from the week-end's four dives.

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/gD2bI9Ca

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's a really awsome shot!!! I can't wait to start shooting underwater.

I loved your slideshow! About halfway through there's a shot of some purply egg looking things.....are they eggs of some sort?

Bob,

I just watched your San Juan photo show on another thread while I was "catching up" Excellent photos again, and your choices of music are always interesting.

As for the unintentional capture of the shrimp, that reminds me of NetDoc in Bonaire. We were all taking turns smapping pictures of a couple of frogfish one day. The boat captain went down for a few minutes to point out a couple. There were two on a large outcropping, just about a foot apart, but different colors. Anyway, everyone hung there, taking a picture and then moving aside for the next person. NetDoc was the last to arrive, looked and looked, but didn't see anything. However, since everyone else had taken pictures of 'something', he dutifully snapped a pic. That evening (or the next morning?) when he was reviewing the pictures (and showing us) he looked more closely at the pictures. As he was reviewing that particular image he said something like "is that a fish? I wondered what you guys were all taking pictures of!"

I have often gotten unexpected people in the backgrounds of my pictures at some of the stranger social events that I attend, but not usually so much underwater.

Once again, thanks for sharing the great pictures.

Wristshot

Back
Top Bottom