Accident at Lake Rawlings Sunday 05/27/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect because HIGHwing is an instructor, he has access to information like that thru PADI that most of us won't be able to find. Probably an area on the PADI website that only professional level folks can log in to.

I have access to the PADI pro site and as far as I know, there is no special section that would have this information. I can't look up his certs without his member number or his birth date, neither of which I would suspect people who don't know him personally would have. The consumer alerts page doesn't have anything posted yet if this is true.

That's why I ask. Either there is a page I don't know about (and I would like to nkow about it), HIGHwing has some personal knowledge that hasn't been made public, or its a rumor at this point.

I have access to the PADI pro site and as far as I know, there is no special section that would have this information. I can't look up his certs without his member number or his birth date, neither of which I would suspect people who don't know him personally would have. The consumer alerts page doesn't have anything posted yet if this is true.

That's why I ask. Either there is a page I don't know about (and I would like to nkow about it), HIGHwing has some personal knowledge that hasn't been made public, or its a rumor at this point.

Then you know way more about it than I do! You are probably right when you say he has personal knowledge then but since the instructor in question no longer appears on the Splash website, it "appears" to be true.

Even if they pulled him down, that doesn't necessarily mean he did anything wrong. It would certainly be understandable to take a break or quit teaching after being witness to an underwater medical event, witnessing the spouse watch the body be recovered, and be subjected to countless second guessing.

Is this what happened - I have no idea, but I wouldn't put the guy on a stake until it is for sure. I just don't know of a way to substantiate that claim at this point.

Last edited:
I suspect because HIGHwing is an instructor, he has access to information like that thru PADI that most of us won't be able to find. Probably an area on the PADI website that only professional level folks can log in to.

That's actually not entirely true. PADI is very forthright with information, and the information I've provided is freely available on PADI's consumer website. As a diver [read consumer] you should be aware of where this information is located. Let's all take a moment to point our browsers to PADI.com. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, and then look for "Consumer Alerts". Click it. These actions will direct you to the Quality Management division of PADI where you can review important consumer information, and special advisories.

Even if they pulled him down, that doesn't necessarily mean he did anything wrong. It would certainly be understandable to take a break or quit teaching after being witness to an underwater medical event, witnessing the spouse watch the body be recovered, and be subjected to countless second guessing.

You can bet the real reason is because PADI can't rationalize having an owner/co-owner who is expelled managing PADI branded training programs. How can PADI separate a member and then allow a non-member to preside over their training programs as a retailer?

Last edited:
I looked at that page this morning before I posted and didn't see it. I do now. Thanks.

In looking at the list and considering how many PADI professional level people there are, getting expelled is pretty rare it seems.

Back
Top Bottom