Accident and rescue at Breakwater (Monterey, CA)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My divemaster was walking her dogs on the pier when she witnessed 3 divers pop to the surface near a float which was a good 1000-1500 yards from the shore and said one of them was unconscious and there appeared to be confusion in the water. It appears that open water students swam her to shore ( a looong way to shore especially for an OW student).

Are you sure this is correct?

1650 yds is considered a mile in swim competitions! I have done many dives that are around 3000' offshore and the return surface swim is in the neighborhood of 30 minutes, with a favorable current. And that is with strong legs, freedive fins and not towing an unconscious diver!

How deep is the water 1000 yards off that beach?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Two threads about the same incident merged.

Note: if you want the moderators to do things like merging threads then click on the report button of some random post and request it via that channel. If you don't do that then it can easily go unnoticed.

Are you sure this is correct?

1650 yds is considered a mile in swim competitions! I have done many dives that are around 3000' offshore and the return surface swim is in the neighborhood of 30 minutes, with a favorable current. And that is with strong legs, freedive fins and not towing an unconscious diver!

How deep is the water 1000 yards off that beach?

Note: Wasn't there that day so I don't know where they came up so I'm just gonna talk about the site. The area of concern

So the common area to take out classes is the south end of the beach along the wall. Even a 1000 feet is actually pretty far out and is deeper than any class would go. More likely they were about 500 feet out (along the wall there are big painted numbers every hundred feet with half way marks between then). According to Google Maps Distance Calculator the entire pier is 1500 feet and I don't know anyone who'd surface swim that out.

Now the nice thing about the site is that there are almost always people all along the pier so you can pop up almost anywhere (that a class would be) and be in yelling distance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom