Accessory pockets for BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomgrogan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I have a back inflate BC w/ no pockets but plenty of rings to hold equipment. However, I don't used the rings except for clipping keepers for Octos & SPGs. Do you have any suggestiongs for an add on pocket(s) that would hold a 6 " flashlight, a sausage alert, etc. I know Dive Rite makes some add on pockets but was wondering if these are too bulky.

tomgrogan:
Hello, I have a back inflate BC w/ no pockets but plenty of rings to hold equipment. However, I don't used the rings except for clipping keepers for Octos & SPGs. Do you have any suggestiongs for an add on pocket(s) that would hold a 6 " flashlight, a sausage alert, etc. I know Dive Rite makes some add on pockets but was wondering if these are too bulky.

If you are using a hogarthian type harness, then there are pockets that you can thread your waist strap through. Another option would be to attach pockets to your wetsuit or drysuit.

Kevin

I dive with a Scubapro Lady Hawk which is also back inflate. I use the Dive Rite pockets and find they do a very nice job. I just put the webbing from the weight pocket through the loop on the back. I use a small pocket on the left for my back-up computer and the pocket designed for a back-up mask on the right to keep flashlights, etc. Really cuts down on the dangle factor. I also have a roll up pocket in the BC. I can use it without any interference from the add-on Dive Rite pockets. (I use it to load trash in that I pick up under water.)

I keep my surface marker on the D-ring on the left so that I can get to it quickly if needed.

Make sure you have lots of danglies and shiny things. The more the better. :D

SparticleBrane:
Make sure you have lots of danglies and shiny things. The more the better. :D

Yes, but be sure to keep them all on retractors!

I have a dive rite pocket on my rec wing rig. Hold my light, tables, rescue mask. I have my sos kit in a small mesh bag clipped to one of the small rings in the back under the wing. It's well out of the way, but not too hard to get to.

Okay, I'll get toasted by some folks for this, but 'frankly, my dear..."

I have a back inflate BC, too. I'm blessed with a "kangaroo" pocket" on my waist strap, but it's not big enough for everything, and it's a pain to empty the pocket looking for the item on the bottom. Therefore, to keep from cramming all sorts of stuff into it, I added pockets on my tank straps below the buckles. Sure, I know dive shops and catalogues offer all sorts of these, but I "cheaped out". I added two velcro pouches from...ahem... the Warlmart photo dept (they're actually camera cases for digital cameras). One holds my sasage, line, mirror and whistle, and the other contains a backup folding knife. They both work perfectly and hug close to the strap, thus decreasing drag.
Works for me. Now, where's the jelly and butter...let the toasting begin!

I use both the OMS "no snag" pockets and SMALL "utility/mask pouch."

I use the "no snag" diving dry because I need additional weight. It is somewhat bulky but if pushed back toward your sides, less so. The snap bolts to your harness are of questionable value unless you are wearing a LARGE amount of weight. The pockets have a HUGE amount of room, you could put a full size reel and a back-up light in one if you wanted.

I use the SMALL "utility/mask pouch" for diving wet when I need no additional weight. These are GREAT. Very low profile but yet roomy. Don't make the mistake of getting the LARGE pouch, it's just TOO big.

IMO, the OMS stuff is VERY well made, basically bulletproof. It's a step above Dive Rite in terms of quality. It's also very well thought out and designed.

Good luck...

Guba:
Okay, I'll get toasted by some folks for this, but 'frankly, my dear..."

I have a back inflate BC, too. I'm blessed with a "kangaroo" pocket" on my waist strap, but it's not big enough for everything, and it's a pain to empty the pocket looking for the item on the bottom. Therefore, to keep from cramming all sorts of stuff into it, I added pockets on my tank straps below the buckles. Sure, I know dive shops and catalogues offer all sorts of these, but I "cheaped out". I added two velcro pouches from...ahem... the Warlmart photo dept (they're actually camera cases for digital cameras). One holds my sasage, line, mirror and whistle, and the other contains a backup folding knife. They both work perfectly and hug close to the strap, thus decreasing drag.
Works for me. Now, where's the jelly and butter...let the toasting begin!
No toasting but a simple question. I have some of these type pockets on my land photo bags. Thought about using them but on mine there are no drain holes. Did you add any or just not worry about it since the amt of water is not that much?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom