Access to the keuka shipwreck lake charlevoix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’ve been planning a quick weekend trip to the grand traverse bay to petoskey area and of course the prospect of diving came into my mind very quickly. I keep eying the wreck of the keuka and I had a few questions concerning it

1. can it be accessed from the public launch from a shore dive

2. are there actual boats that offer charters on the lake

Any and all comments from those who have dove her or in the region are greatly appreciated!

Look up Chris Roxburgh on FB. He lives in the Traverse City area and does a ton of diving up north. He’d probably have some info for you.

I'd call NW scuba in East Jordan 231-536-0235 or Scuba North in TC Scuba North.

Its been a long time since I dove the Kueka. My flawed memory tells me the wreck isnt always buoyed. If you've got the location numbers, there isnt a lot of boat traffic on the lake, and you're a strong swimmer its probably feasible but I'm not sure if a public launch site is within swimming distance. There is a private marina close by.

My first choice would be doing a charter, or renting a boat and diving if I knew I could find the wreck.

Having said that its a fun little dive if you're already in the area. This assumes you'll be diving when the ice is off the lake. Enjoy!

You'll need to take a boat out to it. There's a nice public access boat ramp directly west of it if you have your own.

Just adding in my experience here for any future searchers. The Keuka was "marked" by a floating milk crate when I dove there in 2021, but there was just enough wind/current that the crate was submerged and basically invisible. So we just jumped into the water at approx the dive coordinates and had to do a search pattern to locate the wreck.

I do wonder if, on a clear day with smooth water, you could fly a drone up and look down to see the wreck. If I recall the bottom was less than 40' down.

Wreck was in great shape, decent amount of fish hanging around and was really fun shining the flashlight into the lower decks. We didn't see any particular artifacts.

Back
Top Bottom