Abyss Explorer Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nessmiller

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the Abyss Explorer Regulators? All of the reviews that I've been able to find were very positive and the combination of a Poseidon 1st stage with a Kirby-Morgan 2nd stage strikes me as very well thought-out design. Thanks for your help.

well it is not actually an abysmal it is the actual kirby Morgan second with the Poseidon first. I saw some reports on the Abysmal and had the Poseidon first already and could buy the Kirby Morgan cheaper than the abysmal renamed one . Any way I like it very much there are 3 things in particular I like about it.
1 the way the exhaust tee is shaped it rests perfectly on my chin leaving the mouth very comfortable .2 the way the adjustment knob is designed you have complete control over the adjustment underwater .alot of regs have the adjustment screw inside the fitting where the hose connects to the second stage.on the abysmal/kirby morgan the adjustment knob controls the entire adjustment .3 anyone can buy a repair manual.
Joens

Aren't the intermediate pressures different for a "standard" Poseidon 1st stage when paired with a Jetstream (140 psi) or Cyklon (170 psi) than when paired with the Kirby Morgan 1st stages? I though that that was one of things that Abyss had Poseidon do for them - set the intermediate pressure lower (~130 psi). Is this something that is "built in" or can the end-user adjust the 1st stage's intermediate pressure?

Interestingly enough, I also own a Poseidon 1st stage. Any idea where I could pick up a Kirby-Morgan 2nd stage?

On the poseidon first stage there is an adjustment for the Intermediate pressure it requires an allen wrench. on the end of the regulator where the diaphram is. However Poseidon and Abysmal both reccomend that adjustments not be made while the air supply is at full pressure . They say adjust it with an air supply pressure of 300 psi and then put it on a full tank to verify the intermediate pressure as it will change .
I bought my Kirby Morgan second stage from marvel underwater equipment www.mar-vel.com
joens

nessmiller once bubbled...
Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the Abyss Explorer Regulators? All of the reviews that I've been able to find were very positive and the combination of a Poseidon 1st stage with a Kirby-Morgan 2nd stage strikes me as very well thought-out design. Thanks for your help.

I don't own one, but I've breathed off one a few times during an OOA drill. It breaths a bit easier than my de-tuned Apeks tx100, and the 2nd stage seems to be identical to the tx100 second stage.

Can anyone confirm that the 2nds are similar/same on tx100 and Abysmal explorer?

wb

CWB,
The Kirby-Morgan Superflow and Apeks TX100 externally look quite different to me.

Interesting...do Kirby-Morgan and Apex share design technology? As far as I know, they aren't part of the same company. I guess that KM might buy the 2nd stages from Apeks. Anybody know anything definite about this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom