Abyss/dui Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfrymus

Registered
Reaction score
I've been searching for a drysuit, went to my dive shop today to look at the DUI Flex Extreme. But, the guys there told me that I should not be looking at that one, but instead consider the Abyss compressed 4mm for the durability reasons and the cost.

*I will get be using it for marine biology / researched based stuff. Diving on the East cost of Canada for the most part. But also in the great lakes, and possible other spots.*

One of the workers did the exact same thing a couple years back, for several years, for the same research field in the same spot. He told me its not as much heavy duty work as technical diving, but more than recreational, and a very sturdy and reliable suit would be needed.

Wondering your inputs on the Abyss compressed 4mm suit.
I don't know if a neoprene would be a good choice or not as its not as flexible & drying is longer.
How flexible is the 4mm to trilam?
I would also be have underclothing for warmth

Cost wise, the DUI was more than double the price compared to the Abyss.
Which is a HUGE factor, as the Abyss is about $2000 CAD, (which is okay) and DUI was over $4000 CAD (way too much) with everything included.
Unless there is another brand I can/should look for?
Bare apparently isnt going to be good for me either.
Im out of ideas.

Last edited:
The general trend of the serious divers I know is to go for the DUI FLX or Santi for new suits. Expensive, true. Also go with a shop that sells a lot of suits and understands how to measure people. If push came to shove I'd go with a shop that sells a lot of a given suit and has a relationship with the mfr to help deal with issues if you can't go with those brands.

If you are crawling through wrecks then you would want to look at a different set of suits, as I don't know anyone doing that, they are more tech and cave divers.

I have a bare and know 3 other people that bought one about the same time and I can't recommend them.

I have a Bare compressed neoprene drysuit which is similar to the Abyss. I "crawl" through the wrecks up here in the Great Lakes and have owned my suit for about 10 years and it is still going strong. Most people that dive up here use a neoprene or compressed neoprene suit. You will need less underwear with a neoprene suit. I will replace it with another Bare or Abyss when the time comes. DUI drysuits are way over priced and up here DUI stands for dry until immersed.

They guys I spoke to said that the Bare will not be a good suit for what Id be doing.
They were using that suit at the time, and had problems with it in the field. I think it was that it was not durable enough. I don't recall the actual reason, but they said that it is not one of their best sellers for such reasons.

I meant the Abyss 4mm compressed drysuit! Not the 7mm.

Last edited:
Yes I have the Bare CD4 PRO 4mm compressed neoprene drysuit. Like I said I have owned it for over 10 years and it's still going strong, it's a very durable suit. Most of the commercial divers up here use it, that's why I bought it. They also have excellent customer service. Maybe their quality has gone down in the last 10 years,I don't know? The Abyss 4mm compressed drysuit is on the top of my list if & when this one gives up. You won't go wrong with either an Abyss or bare compressed neoprene suit.

Back
Top Bottom