Above Water Macro lens for underwater use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cricfanSD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am wondering whether this is possible ? I use Nikon 5T/6T macro lens for topside macro. These are multi-coated two element lenses. Will this work similar to the Inon or Fantasea lenses ? Is the primary concern is that there may be water leak into the elements ?

They will work however due to the different index of refractions of water and air their "power" is cut by a factor of 4. In other words, you need one with 4 times the diopter rating to get the equilivent effect under water so unless you have some pretty high diopters they are of little value. For example, an 8 diopter on land becomes a 2 underwater.

Well, maybe. Depends a lot on which camera/port and the distance between the lens and the entry point of the camera. I use a Canon 500D on the front end of my athena ringstrobe and get way more than 1/4 of the 2x that Herman suggests. Try it and see. In general you get a reduction in magnification UW but at least experimentally in my hands there isn't a magic formula.
Bill

Well, maybe. Depends a lot on which camera/port and the distance between the lens and the entry point of the camera. I use a Canon 500D on the front end of my athena ringstrobe and get way more than 1/4 of the 2x that Herman suggests. Try it and see. In general you get a reduction in magnification UW but at least experimentally in my hands there isn't a magic formula.
Bill
4x maginification reduction works for single element lenses. Not sure about the double element. hence the question. Canon 500D is equivalent to Nikon 6T, so I believe it may just work.
Atleast that will be much cheaper solution than Inon macro lenses as I bought my 6T before Nikon discontinued it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom