About the size of the fins (Oceanic caribe X)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alisonchan

Registered
Reaction score
I ordered a pair of FF fin. I ordered 2 sizes larger than my feet so that I can wear the boot with the fin. However, I found that it's still too small for me to fit in.

My question is...... should I order a smaller fin which allow me to not wearing boots to fit in or should I order a larger fin to allow the boot to fit in??

I don't know whether it is designed for the boot to fit in or not so I don't know what size should I get.

I am wearing 5mm scubamax titanium soft hole men-size 7 boot and
ordered a medium large fin recently.
I don't know should I change it to large to fit in the boot or should I order a small so that I can wear it without boot??

Or......one more option, should I order one more thiner booty so I can fit in this fins??

Also, does anyoe know how to exchange the fins from the leisure pro online shop? Thanks a lot

I use the Oceanic Caribe (not X) a lot, and I ordered one size larger and wear dive socks. If your boots are too big, try the socks probably a perfect fit.
I am in south FL, so 3 mil is what I use year round.
Ron

Ali, sorry the fins did not fit. Contact LP by mail or phone and they will authorize return. Include a letter in the box indicating exchange for larger size. Unfortunately, you will have to pay return postage on the fins. They will not charge for postage on new fins.

Frankly, however, I would do as "fishboots" suggested. A pair of 2- 3 mm booties is not very expensive. I did find it improbable that you might be wearing the same size fins as me. My feet are 10M and I wear "large" with 2 mm sock. So, when recommending the ML I thought it might fit but if not there would be options. If the size L were too large for you with 5 mm boot there is little that you could do about it. However, if the fins were too small, one could simply use a thinner bootie or sock. That was my thinking.

Look at the IST "soft socks" on this page for $10:
http://www.divebooty.com/products/26/dive_socks.html

The 2 mm hard soles are another option if they will fit. Basically, for walking over hard bottom. However, the soft socks are very comfortable in general. There are several shown on the page if you like to shop around so to speak.

Last edited:
I use the Oceanic Caribe (not X) a lot, and I ordered one size larger and wear dive socks. If your boots are too big, try the socks probably a perfect fit.
I am in south FL, so 3 mil is what I use year round.
Ron

I am in south FL too!! I am now studying in Miami. I what to ask what is 3 mil??
and what are the difference between dive boots and dive socks??

Do you know is there any diving shops which are cheap so that I can go and try the socks or boots?? Thanks a lot.

Ali, sorry the fins did not fit. Contact LP by mail or phone and they will authorize return. Include a letter in the box indicating exchange for larger size. Unfortunately, you will have to pay return postage on the fins. They will not charge for postage on new fins.

Frankly, however, I would do as "fishboots" suggested. A pair of 2- 3 mm booties is not very expensive. I did find it improbable that you might be wearing the same size fins as me. My feet are 10M and I wear "large" with 2 mm bootie. So, when recommending the ML I thought it might fit but if not there would be options. If the size L were too large for you with 5 mm boot there is little that you could do about it. However, if the fins were too small, one could simply use a thinner bootie. That was my thinking.

Look at the IST "soft socks" on this page for $10:
Dive Socks - Compare Scuba Dive Socks Prices @ DiveBooty.com

The 2 mm hard soles are another option if they will fit. Basically, for walking over hard bottom. However, the soft socks are very comfortable in general. There are several shown on the page if you like to shop around so to speak.

Don't be sorry about that. You have already helped me a lot about knowing how to choose the fin and know what fin is better.
I think it's just the sole of the boot is too think that I can't fit in. :p

I don't know whether I should choose a sock or boot.
Is there any difference??
What time do we need sock and what time do we need boot??

A sock is for diving from boats and sand beaches with water temps above 65F. Generally, they are used with FF fins and are fairly thin, 2 mm is common, so that the foot fits into the fin's length as far as possible producing maximum leverage. Also, a sock does not compress as much as a boot under pressure making the fit secure at all times. A bootie is the same as a sock but may be a bit thicker, up to 3 mm. This is used if the sock is not sufficiently thick to achieve a secure fit in a particular fin. It may be warmer than a sock. Some have hard soles and may also be called booties or shoes. A boot is usually taller, can be 3 mm - 7 mm with a hard sole. The purpose of this is to dive in waters cooler than 65F and to walk on hard bottom when entering from the beach. This is typical for California waters where freedivers use very large, FF fins with boots. The feet are kept warmer but they pay a price in increased buoyancy of the feet which causes splashing. Scuba divers prefer boots for OH fins and cold water. The buoyancy decreases at depth.

..., does anyoe know how to exchange the fins from the leisure pro online shop? Thanks a lot

alisonchan,

Please give us a call at 888-805-3600 and ask for an RMA, they take about 30 seconds to issue and then we can get you rolling with our PFF Program. With the PFF Program if you are exchanging something like fins, boots, BC's or wetsuits that are sized for the same thing in a different size we will pay shipping both ways. We just e-mail you the RMA information and a UPS label to cover shipping to us. It's easy and then the exchange costs you nothing.

alisonchan,

Please give us a call at 888-805-3600 and ask for an RMA, they take about 30 seconds to issue and then we can get you rolling with our PFF Program. With the PFF Program if you are exchanging something like fins, boots, BC's or wetsuits that are sized for the same thing in a different size we will pay shipping both ways. We just e-mail you the RMA information and a UPS label to cover shipping to us. It's easy and then the exchange costs you nothing.

Thanks a lot for your help. ^^
Now, I need to think about whether i should change to smaller fins so that
I don't need to wear boots to wear it........or change to larger fins so that
i can fit my 5mm boots in it...........^^"

It's difficult to decide....................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom