About Age

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DPhantomas

Reaction score
I am a 38 y/o diver. I am thinking aof doing a technical course and get into this in all its levels.

Do you think it's too late for that?

Although I am close to the 40's I must say I am in good shape.

So, any sugestions?

First of all, let me welcome you to the board. There are plenty of friendly knowledgeable folks on this board.

Your age shouldn't be an issue as a prerequisite for Technical Diving. Your dive experience and pocket book is the greatest limitation.

Compared to me you're just a pup. Enjoy!!

Hi there

My dive buddy from Michigan is 48 years young and she fully intends to get her Technical certs. I am not a tech diver myself but do intend on pursuing it. I think you should if it is somthing you feel your up to. In the great lakes there are a lot of Technical dives to do if you ever make it up this way. Alot from 140ft to 380ft and every where in between that went down in the 1800's. They are totaly intact with rigging and masts still standing. No I have not visited them but I have done my fair share of reading and talking to Technical divers who have. Best of luck to ya.

Jeff Great lakes diver

DPhantomas,I am 38 also and believe myself to be in the prime of my technical diving "career".My buddy is several years older then me and was last seen in Ginnie with 700cuft of gas on him staging for a 3800' push.Old guys don't have to work as hard at it cause they don't have to make the mistakes anymore.I see guys in thier 50s and 60s effortlessly doing what I sometimes struggle with .

Originally posted by DPhantomas
I am a 38 y/o diver. I am thinking aof doing a technical course and get into this in all its levels.

Do you think it's too late for that?

Although I am close to the 40's I must say I am in good shape.

So, any sugestions?
Suggestions??
Just try not to fall too far behind, young fella...
I, for one, intend to be actively diving at double 38.
Rick

Originally posted by Jeff
Hi there

My dive buddy from Michigan is 48 years young and she fully intends to get her Technical certs. I am not a tech diver myself but do intend on pursuing it. I think you should if it is somthing you feel your up to. In the great lakes there are a lot of Technical dives to do if you ever make it up this way. Alot from 140ft to 380ft and every where in between that went down in the 1800's. They are totaly intact with rigging and masts still standing. No I have not visited them but I have done my fair share of reading and talking to Technical divers who have. Best of luck to ya.

Jeff Great lakes diver

Sorry for the "silly" question, but....where are those lakes you are talking about?

Thank you everybody for your encouragement.

I have just about 50 dives logged, but looking forward for multiplying them, and really want to get into this tek-diving thing.

I am trying to make the decision about going through IANTD, ANDI, TDI, etc....and, of course, which tek bcd and regulator I might need.....etc :)

HATE THESE DECISIONS!!!!!

Originally posted by DPhantomas

Sorry for the "silly" question, but....where are those lakes you are talking about?

If you look at a map of the United States, you can find them. look at the border of Canada and the USA, in the middle of the country. You will see some rather LARGE lakes. These are the Great Lakes. They are cold and deep. I used to be crazy enough to get in them when I lived up there. From what I understand, there is some excellent wreck diving in them.

If you look at the follwoing link, you can see them.
http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/usland.htm

Just wanted to give you my perspective as a women tech/cave diver......I dive inthe caves of Mexico every year with a group of divers that live in the US and Europe. I am about the youngest member of this group of 10 at 48. The oldest is a man from Germany who is in his mid 60's. I started tech diving at 38 and have had no problems with respect to age. Your overall health and condition is what is important. I also had a workout program designed for me to help with diving in doubles and all the extra gear. I also dive in the Great Lakes and if you make a trip to the US, and don't mind cold water diving, the wooden wrecks of the Great Lakes are a must see. I think you will find that tech diving is well worth the time and effort. Best of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom