Aborted Plan At Langley Marina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@sambolino44: I agree. It can be difficult to communicate signals that require 2 hands at night. Any signal that entails putting a hand on/near one's face is a bit problematic, too, since you don't want to blind yourself while you illuminate your hand.
Also, we're used to using some signs with two hands, so it's good to work out beforehand what the one-hand version will be. "Look" means you have to point your light at your own face, so close your eyes.
We've worked out a better signal indicating "Look." It's done exclusively with light signals and it works great for macro life. First, you get your buddy's attention by moving the light back-and-forth (sign for "attention"). Once you have your buddy's attention, she moves closer to you along with her light. You slowly draw a line with your light from hers to the object of interest. Then, you slowly draw a small circle around the object of interest. She acknowledges that she sees the object by drawing her own circle around the object. It works great. I'm sensitive to the fact that the object does have to be "special" or rare in some way to warrant a: "Hey, look at this." It can be annoying if your buddy is constantly getting your attention to show you run-of-the-mill stuff during a dive. "Oh, great, another blue-banded goby."

I've fallen into the bad habit of not asking my buddy "What's your air?" We have almost a couple hundred dives together, though, so I know that I'll have 200-300 psi more air halfway into the dive. If I want to check on her air for some reason, I'll just position myself so that I can see her SPG. That way we don't have to waste time signing numbers back and forth. Everyone I dive with is responsible for monitoring his/her own air. If someone reaches the agreed upon turn pressure, then he/she gives the "turn around" signal. No number signing is needed.

I have a pistol-grip light, so 2-hand signals are very difficult to do. I avoid them when I can. When I'm forced to give a 2-hand signal, I get my buddy's attention first, point the light down in front of me, tuck the light under my chin, and then make the 2-hand signal. It's an under water version of shadow puppets. :) It ain't pretty, but it works.

The hand signals that we use on every night dive are "turn around" and "surface." "Turn around" is an easy and unique one-hand gesture. Index finger points vertically while rotating hand in a circular motion. "Surface" is just the thumb.

For identifying aquatic critters, we have our own special one-hand signals for local nudibranchs, mantis shrimp, etc. Many times it's too much trouble to have an under water discussion about it. We just take a picture and move on. While we're loading gear back into the car, we discuss what we saw and share the pictures.

The only time I've ever been tempted to use the "buddy up" signal on a night dive was when a newbie diver we didn't know attempted to join our group. He was a very good buddy who stayed right next to me as I lined up several shots of some sarcastic fringeheads. After a couple of minutes, I looked at him and extended a hand, as if to shake hands and say: "Hi. We don't know each other. Nice to meet you." His eyes got a little bigger when he realized his mistake. He swam off in a hurry. No harm done.

Night dives are my favorite. More stuff seems to come out then.

It sounded to me like you were planning a straight down, straight up dive with a little wandering time at depth. You set your plan up to turn at some remaining pressure level. Now, you changed your dive plan to involve a significant underwater swim. The amount of gas that would get you to the surface from 90fsw on a straight ascent won't get you hundreds of yards across the bottom and then up from 90fsw. Did you consider that and recalculate when you found yourselves cruising along the bottom looking for another 20 feet of depth?

Also, why were you surprised that the depth wasn't what you expected? Did you get bad info from someone, catch the wrong tide, read a chart wrong, or was that just a part of the plan that was on the sketchy side? In general, it would seem appropriate to be more conservative on gas planning for a dive where the destination, current and topography aren't fully understood.

Sounds like you had quite the dive, though, and that your navigation was solid!

No, I think this was a shore dive (knowing the site) where the bottom just didn't slope down as fast as they thought it did. So there was a significant swim involved both ways.

No, I think this was a shore dive (knowing the site) where the bottom just didn't slope down as fast as they thought it did. So there was a significant swim involved both ways.

That's right. We are familiar with the site in general but we have never swam past the tire reef the way we did on this dive. The mistake was not taking into account the possibility that right there, along that direction of travel the bottom would never reach 90fsw and also on my part not giving up earlier on during the dive. It is still a mystery to me why I kept swimming the way I did like a child who doesn't want to give up the possibility to discover a treasure in a dark and dangerous forest...well something like that. I usually consider myself to be a prudent and cautious person...Who knows maybe it had something to do with the stressful morning I had...Ma!:confused:

Well, I don't know how deep you were, but if you were swimming hard at depth, you may very well have had an additive effect from nitrogen and CO2, clouding your judgment and narrowing your perception. My Cave 2 class taught me a profound respect for how stupid I can be when I'm both narced and full of CO2.

One thing you may also want to consider with the "goal fixation" or tunnel vision is narcosis to some degree. 69 feet is still 3 atm. It was called the martini effect based on each atm was 1 drink. Not counting the surface it would till be like 2 drinks. Not enough to be fece'd faced but enough to have some effect on judgment. Coupled with the dark, colder water, and things not going as planned the stress may have been magnified just a bit. Everyone thinks narcosis isn't felt until 80-100 foot range. You have already said that you have not done many dives beyond 70. I'm guessing those dives were in somewhat better conditions and according to plan?

All the factors you noted are recognized as contributing to the effects in many divers in the deeper range. I only suggest this as this is exactly what happens to me on deeper air dives. Those in the 100-130 foot range. I become goal fixated. To the point that if I do not go through my narcosis checklist, I will become so fixated on the mission that things like time, air pressure, where my buddy is if I have one, and other lapses in judgment are likely. But over time I have recognized this and by developing my list am able to keep track of those things. I'm still narced but I manage the symptoms. Just food for thought.

We reached the max depth of 69fsw. It seemed that it took for ever to get there from 25/30 fsw where we submerged. That tells you what a flat bottom it is...the slope is almost invisible.
I am pretty sure that I was not narced maybe I had too much CO2. I had that mind set from the start when I was still dry. Both of us did not get any symptoms of sicknesses usually associated with fast ascents after the dive.

(One little physiological problem was that Sam's nose bled while he was in the water. Somenthing that has been happening more frequently on land and I we think it is not related to diving...or it may be? It is a short bleed that doesn't seem to have other side effects...Ma!:confused:)

Okay - I got the idea that you paddled out on the surface to a spot you thought would have a bottom at 90fsw and then went down.

One thing you may also want to consider with the "goal fixation" or tunnel vision is narcosis to some degree. 69 feet is still 3 atm. It was called the martini effect based on each atm was 1 drink. Not counting the surface it would till be like 2 drinks. Not enough to be fece'd faced but enough to have some effect on judgment. Coupled with the dark, colder water, and things not going as planned the stress may have been magnified just a bit. Everyone thinks narcosis isn't felt until 80-100 foot range. You have already said that you have not done many dives beyond 70. I'm guessing those dives were in somewhat better conditions and according to plan?

When I do a deep dive I don't go below 100fsw. All the deep dives I have done so fare, except for one, were all well planned without any problems, everything went according to the plan. I have never experienced narcosis as other divers describe it. I mean I have never laughed or tried to take my mask off for instance. Who knows, maybe I did get narced after all because I was already 'in the mood' for it when I decided to go diving. I mean my mood was already a bit off hours earlier before the dive. In fact at some point I had a doubt about the whole thing. Something was telling me to go for a hike instead diving but I ignored it.

Okay - I got the idea that you paddled out on the surface to a spot you thought would have a bottom at 90fsw and then went down.

NO! We did indeed surface swam but to a spot where we knew, we have done it quite a few times now, the bottom was about between 20/30 feet depending on the tide, then we swam underwater to a tire reef that is about between 35/40 feet again depending on the tide and from there we took off to the mud flat with the illusion that we would reach 90fsw. Voila'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom