aborted open water course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, such great advice from everyone. I agree with all the advanced divers, because I don't know any different and they have all been there to help me along.
I hope that the weight is truly the reason you postponed and not because you felt uncomfortable in the class (meaning..you were the only less than skinny girl in the bunch or something like that). or that maybe you think you have more limitations than you really do because somewhere along the line you got the idea that big girls really can't do something physical.
I applaud you for having the guts to back off and I give you double the praise for hauling your butt to the gym, anything you do there will make diving easier. I am sure your hubby really isn't pissed because he would much rather have you around than not. Best of luck in the future, chin up and jump back in as soon as you can..whatever you do, don't let the fear you felt during your first class become overwhelming in your memory to the point that you wont get back in there.
We all want to be kept up on your progress so don't let us down!

If its any consolation, I am just shy of 10st and use anything from 22lbs to 28 (dry suit) depending on the conditions but more imprtantly, how I feel. If I feel at all apprehensive I need 28 to get down. A large part of it is down to how you feel on the day.

The key is to enjoy it and not worry. It should be fun, not an epic.

good luck!

Booga :lifter:

Scuba~dog,
No new advice, the others have said it all. Just one more "voice" of respect and admiration for your persistance.
Keep at it, and you will prevail.
Good luck,
Mike

Don't worry about your husbands feelings, you do what is right for you...he should feel proud that you had sense enough to postpone the class.

I'd like to make one small correction to Ladycute's advice....

Originally posted by ladycute1
...Second, you don't mention whether your open water dives would be from shore or from a boat -- but, from a boat (and even from shore) you might consider splitting the weight. Put some in an integrated bc and some on the weight belt. Then, from a boat, place your inflated and weighted bc in the water. Wear the weight belt. Get in the water (your own bouyancy and that of your exposure suit should help you to manage the weight belt at the surface. Once in the water, put the bc on. When you surface, remove the weight belt and hand it up. Then, depending on the boat, either climb aboard or if necessary, remove the weight pouches and hand them up.

While gearing up in the water can be easier on you, you should never get in water over your head with nothing but a weight belt on. Even if you have a thick wetsuit on. If you lose your grip on the inflated BC, the tag line, etc. you'll go to the bottom...fast! And if you're wearing even half the weight you mentioned, I doubt you'll be able to swim to the surface. Leave your weight belt on the boat, don your BC in the water then have the DM hand you your weightbelt....that's one of the reasons you practice putting the weight belt on in the water in class! Her description of doning your gear on a shore dive is exactly correct.

As the others have mentioned, your breathing rate as a beginner has a lot to do with the weight you use at the first. As you get more comfortable, your breathing will even out and you'll start dropping weights. I've had students drop half their weights by the time we get to open water check outs. Before you get into open water, you should be taught how to properly check your weighting. I'm sure you'll drop a few lbs. there as most students are overweighted intentionally in the pool so you don't have trouble staying on the bottom of the pool.

Kudos to you for recognizing a problem and dealing with it. don't ever blindly follow the crowd...use your brain and become a smart diver....I think you're on your way!!! Congratulations :thumb:

Scuba~dog, I'm proud of you!

You did what you felt was right for you. Like Tavi, I'm really glad too that you postponed rather than cancelled your class.

During OW, I found out what a lot of lead feels like... and even though I was ok in the water, carrying it up and down rocks and lugging it around to and from the car was not fun. I decided I wanted to reduce the amount of lead I'm carrying too... so now I'm back in the gym!!!

Scuba~dog, if you need a workout / motivational partner, just let me know. I'm here for you and, if you like, we can do this thing together!

FUN!!!! so you go girl!! do what you gotta do , then dive in! i think it is great that you did not cancel , shows that you are a winner......not someone who lets a little mole hill be the ending of your (very near future) underwater adventure!!:muscle:

Trapped air, anxiety, and lack of instructor patience were my troubles.

On my OW in a 7mm suit they had 45 pounds on me!!
And they insisted I walk it up the hill to our camp area and down during each dive. No donning in the water.

Turns out I needed more like 27 to 30 pounds that day.
I sunk like a stone once I got below 10 feet.

Check to make sure your BC has no air in it.
Breath out as you ascend.
And relax (I know it's easier said then done).

And if it helps, I'm now down to 23 pounds of lead and I haven't lost a pound of body weight since that OW class.

THAT's half! Keep up the good work, Starfish

With all said and add.....tell your husband to PO and leave you alone or hey ....you may leave him alone.....some warm cozy night when he si getting in an amourous way.......worked for my wife...hehehehe...........I just left her alone.....

And really congrats on having the courage to say no , I will wait until I am comfortable....most people would quit, or get thru the course uncomfortable and perhaps never dive again....

Best of luck......

Scubababe is right on the money - the more you relax, the less weight you'll need. I started off my confined dives with more than 20 pounds on (with a 7mm wetsuit). But by the time I finished my OW dives, I was down to 12 lbs. in the same 7mm suit. I was just that much more relaxed.

When you're at the gym, if at all possible, spend some time in the pool. That will help increase your comfort level.

You should complete your OW dives when you're comfortable - doing it for someone else will only increase your anxiety - causing you to need more weight. Your husband will understand and respect you for diving smart!

Just remember, we're all here pulling for you! Good luck!:)

I had the same problem when i started and i am quite overweight and that does have something to do with but your primary problem is that you are very nervous. I used to have weights in my pockets, around my waist, around my fins and i was still fighting to get down. Give yourself some time, get relaxed in the water and you will see the diference. Now i only have the regular weight belt with 30 lbs in the ocean.

Anyway new to this forum, new to diving, getting certifed this weekend in Monterey. I'm looking for a buddy and also this forum is great, I love reading this posts

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom