Abnormal bone growth in ear canal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graeme Fraser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So, I had my annual commercial diver medical last week and it appears I've developed Exostosis; in layman's terms abnormal bone growth in the ear canal. This can apparently manifest in people whose ears are regularly submerged in cold water over a prolonged period of time (i.e regular divers, surfers, etc). Apparently it's the body's natural defence designed to protect the ear, although in reality it serves no purpose and will just end up blocking the canal and preventing water egress.

My dive doc wasn't particularly concerned and said it take many years to develop. My 'growth' is classified as a grade 1 and could take many years to develop to a grade 3, requiring surgery.

Just wondered if anyone has had problems with this condition and gone on to have corrective surgery.

I did point out to my doc that this abnormal bone may account for my weight gain. He gave me that wry smile and explained that that was more likely to be the result of sitting on my arse, eating and drinking during lockdown. :wink:

Not particularly worried, more interested really.

I have had bi lateral exostosis for about 30 years-perhaps 40 years
hearing reduced - propensity to ear infections
live with it
or have it removed...
Very common im SoCal Divers and surfers

Sam
Thank you Sam. Yeah, I'm not worried about it. If that's the only negative thing showing up on my medical I can live with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom