Abernethy's boats dammaged?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divematt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can someone give me the scoop on a crane falling down in Riviera Beach, and smashing into 3 boats? Two of them were Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventure's boats. I believe one was the 40' "Infatuation". I was going to do some diving there over Easter but wondered if anyone had heard the news that was on tv.

Divers elude injury as boat is crushed

By Joe Brogan, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Thursday, March 25, 2004

RIVIERA BEACH -- Fourteen scuba divers probably escaped death or serious injury Wednesday when the dive boat they were to go out on was crushed and sunk by a 60-foot-high forklift that fell over at the New Port Cove Marina at 255 E. 22nd Court.

Duke Hebert of Northbrook, Ill., his fiancée, Ann Schuldt ; his two children; and 10 others were scheduled to leave the marina at 10 a.m. Wednesday for ocean scuba lessons aboard the dive boat Infatuation.

But boat owner Jim Abernethy canceled the trip at about 9:30 a.m. because of high winds and heavy seas.

At 9:50 a.m., when everyone would have been aboard, a boat forklift hit a sinkhole in the dock pavement and tipped over, crushing and sinking the Infatuation and a sister boat, Tranquility.

Jason Sprague, the marina center manager, who was driving the forklift, jumped free before it tipped and was not injured, said marina center owner Rick Morgan.

"I feel very fortunate today," Hebert said. "My kids and my fiancée are the three people I love most in the whole world."

Abernethy, a widely known dive master who has four boats and 20 years in business, said he lost about $300,000 in the incident, not counting lost business.

"I feel lucky," he said. "I'm just glad the wind was up. No one got killed and I won't be going to any funerals."

Abernethy said he feels the crash could have been avoided if the forklift's boom had not been fully extended, making it top-heavy and prone to tipping over.

Morgan, however, said the brand-new, $250,000 machine is built for that type of operation.

"To have gone through all of this without a scratch to anyone is a minor miracle," Morgan said.

A diesel spill the mishap caused was contained in a boom and an environmental cleanup company was taking it out of the water Wednesday afternoon.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localn...thursday/local_news_04267689f02d504b0008.html

Marc

At 9:50 a.m., when everyone would have been aboard, a boat forklift hit a sinkhole in the dock pavement and tipped over, crushing and sinking the Infatuation and a sister boat, Tranquility.

Must have been a hell of a sink hole in the dock to do that... and/or poor maintenance.

divematt:
Can someone give me the scoop on a crane falling down in Riviera Beach, and smashing into 3 boats? Two of them were Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventure's boats. I believe one was the 40' "Infatuation". I was going to do some diving there over Easter but wondered if anyone had heard the news that was on tv.

Matt, looks like you won't be going out w/ JIm. I guess I won't be either this Sunday. Bummer!

FLL Diver:
Divers elude injury as boat is crushed

Morgan, however, said the brand-new, $250,000 machine is built for that type of operation.
Sounds like it wasn't designed too well, and was overpriced. That sucks, big time though. I hope they will be up and running soon! Oh yeah, I'm glad nobody was hurt! (That was not sarcastic or an afterthought by the way, it was sincere)

Wow! I was out there and dove with them on The Infatuation less than 2 weeks ago.

I'm glad that no one was hurt.

Jim Abernethy still has the 40' "Obsession" which can take 22 divers but usually stops at 18 or less. It's a twin to the "Infatuation" that was damaged and sunk. He also has the 65' Liveaboard, the "Shear Water".

one hopes their insurance will pay up quickly and they'll be back in business in
no time

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom