ABC for Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brylcn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

as a new beginner for this hobby, I'd like buy some equipments. on the weekend I went to couple stores on the city I live (Istanbul/Turkey). Unfortunately we do have limited brand options.

And finally I decided to below equipments,

Suit: Cressi Sub Lontra (250$)
Fins: Mares Quattro Plus (150$)
Mask: Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin (100$)
Boots: Ultraspan (35$)
Gloves: Cressi Sub High Strech (35$)

I'll use them for free diving and drift diving.
Can you please share your thoughts on these equipments?

thanx in advance

The Mares Quattro fins are typically spoken well of from what I've heard. Boots and gloves are all about fit. If they fit well, they'll work fine. If they don't, it'll be a miserable experience. This is ESPECIALLY true for the wetsuit. The only thing I can say about buying a mask is try getting in the water with the mask you want to buy. If you can, DO NOT press it to your face. Look up, set the mask GENTLY on your face, inhale gently....then look down. That's as close of a test as you can actually do to determine fit while dry.

We have the exact same problem in the States regarding limited selections at our LDS'. They carry two maybe four brands. That means we are driving from shop to shop to find "the perfect fit".

As has already been stated, fit is everything in dive gear and your mask tops the list. My personal path is to find a pair of booties that I can walk a mile in (I have had to do it on the rare occasion) and then find the fins that fin my feet/booties.

Expensive IMO

Update...

this is what we bought...

Suit: Mares Flexa 5.4.3 (with 5mm shorty) (380$)
Fins: Mares Quattro Plus (150$)
Mask: Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin (100$)
Boots: Mares Classic NG 5mm (45$)
Gloves: Aqualung Admiral II (30$)

Congrats! Let us know how you like them and how well they all fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom