Aaack!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Had a leak on today's dive with a brand spanking new o-ring! Was a tremendous disappointment as I had to cut my dive very short and it was on a site I rarely get to and the viz was great...of course. Water in the housing and some drops on the camera...especially in the memory card slot - but thankfully NOT on the card, just on the seam.

I did save the camera, batteries and memory card so <whew> there! Dried it all out on board, jumped in housing only and tested it to 16m, all seemed fine.

Popped camera back in and did second dive. Didn't leak, but condensation was pretty bad - clearly I didn't get it dry enough. So shortened that dive too and took it all apart again. Everything works fine so far and will let it dry properly and check it again.

Called Canon and told them (I had literally only received the new o-ring yesterday) and they said they would ship a replacement no worries. Again, I love Canon's service.

Still no idea why it leaked - no dust, lint, pulling, bulging etc that I can see. One thing that I did notice was different is that I can see water on the outside edge of the o-ring, a little bubble that moves around when you twist the camera. Not seen that before so have to think maybe the oring just didn't fit right. Will try a different one Friday if I get to dive.

Oh well...it was bound to happen sooner or later and I am relieved that it was an extremely minor incident! Now I gotta go look at the photos!

Could the water have been condensation? Did you check to see if it was seawater? The bubble on the outside of the O ring may be normal.
I had a friend who thought his housing flooded over a year ago but it was condensation. The camera worked the next day and is still working.
Are you using desiccant in your housing?

Gilligan:
Could the water have been condensation? Did you check to see if it was seawater? QUOTE]

It was definitely sea water :( Had condensation after I noticed the water droplets and then the small puddle at the bottom of the housing. I kept the housing in the right position on the ascent...25m never seemed so far...and handed it up that way so think that had a lot to do with not getting the water on anything important...

I am thankful that everything is still working and the camera doesn't seem to have suffered...can't dive until Friday at the earliest at this stage so have a couple of days to dry it out and do a dunk test at least...

alcina:
Called Canon and told them (I had literally only received the new o-ring yesterday) and they said they would ship a replacement no worries. Again, I love Canon's service.

I'm sorry about that but it's another Canon housing that leaks. You may like their service, you may like their cameras but there's something odd with their housings. As I wrote few weeks ago I saw two brand new ones floded in one day. Too much for me.

MonkSeal:
I'm sorry about that but it's another Canon housing that leaks. You may like their service, you may like their cameras but there's something odd with their housings. As I wrote few weeks ago I saw two brand new ones floded in one day. Too much for me.

It was not the housing, it was the oring. The housing has done a lot of diving and snorkelling (almost every day) for the past 5 weeks (mulitple dives/day) and my other Canon housing never leaked or had problems. I expect this one to be fine with the spare oring I have.

Sorry to hear others are having problems, but I love this set-up and will be buying two more for work when I hit the US in Feb. I still believe almost all leaks & floods are user error...I checked and double-checked but I still could have missed something...and if even if I didn't and the oring was wonky, Canon have shipped a replacement straight out with an apology (I assume they know most things are user error too), so I am happy.

Knock wood we don't have many more posts in the near future about floods of any kind!!

You're really lucky with such service. If my housing was flooded I could only cry. No flood insurance in Croatia and no replacement for user's errors.

alcina:
I still believe almost all leaks & floods are user error.

I agree with you on this but I don't like this one main o-ring constructions that Cannon has. I feel that Oly with two main o-rings gives better flood protection and one o-ring failure doesn't necessary means flooded housing. At least, such construction (two o-rings) is common in torches, canister lights etc. and seems pretty reliable.

You and Gilligan in 2 days....spooky! Maybe it's something in Hawaii's water! LOL

Glad it wasn't more serious.

Dee...not sure I can blame this on Hawaii, though lord knows everyone here blames the US for everything else LOL

MonkSeal - two o-rings might be nice, but I am used to having gear with only one (five Amphibico housings, one Ikelite slr housing etc) so it doesn't bother me too greatly.

I get to dive today thanks to a fluke in scheduling so we'll see what happens.

MonkSeal:
I feel that Oly with two main o-rings gives better flood protection and one o-ring failure doesn't necessary means flooded housing. At least, such construction (two o-rings) is common in torches, canister lights etc. and seems pretty reliable.

Unlucky for me the second o-ring didn't help much either.... :frown2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom