Aaaarrrrgggghhh!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had similar problem in my last trip, was snorkeling with sharks and got a few opportunity for face-to-face shots but the camera just didn't click... I did get several that's quite ok but the sharks turned away already.

But in my case, it's the focusing speed, it's just too slow and I couldn't tell the shark to wait and pose for the pic :)

p/s : here's one of many that clicked thru : http://www.rainforest-reef.com/gallery/ps/DSC03643

ssra30:
My guess would be that if you keep the focus center right in the middle of the diver, there is not a lot of contrast for the autofocus system to use to focus, especially with such a bright background of the water. If you move the focus point to the edge of the diver and water, half press the shutter to acheive focus then recompose, you might have better luck.
This is my guess at JustLeesa's problem also. Maybe the 5050 focus is good enough that it only causes difficulties occasionally, but my Olympus Stylus 400 point and shoot has atrocious shutter lag due to autofocus that I routinely prefocus by pressing halfway on the shutter.

If there isn't any contrast on the target, or if the target is a solitary fish in open water, I'll cheat by pointing the camera at some other hihger contrast object at roughly the same distance to achieve focus lock.

In low light situations, I'll even give the autofocus a bit of help by illuminating the target with my divelight until it gets focus lock, then shining the light elsewhere while taking the photo to avoid a bright spot.

Charlie

I use the C5050Z, Ikelite case, ds-125 strobe, TTL,
and the only problem I've had is below 70fsw depth.
The camera/case just hates being deep.
I suspect it is the pressure squeezing the controls enough to press an odd combination of buttons on the camera to where Nuttin' works no mo.

This prrrrrrrobably doesn't apply to you using an Oly case though.

I'm not too concerned with it, as I rarely dive that deep to begin with.
Aint too much below 60fsw, and I'm typically at 30fsw.

I agree with Uncle Pug. Sometimes the camera has a hard time focusing due to light conditions. I had similar problems with my C4040 in the past and even with my digital Rebel in low light conditions. After putting on a focusing light that I use for night dives or low light conditons, I've had no further problems.

OK, I'll try the focusing light, the strobe has that option - gonna suck on my batteries though....always something.

Which digital rebel do you have? I was looking into the xt

OH, my manners! Thanks everybody. I'll try all your suggestions and let you know how they work.

Hi Justleesa,

I've noticed this with my 5050. I've put it down to focusing problems. What I do is just move the camera slightly away from what I am taking a photo of to 'clear its memory' as such and then re-focus on what I want to take a photo of. Obviously this isn't the best solution for all situations, but it does seem to work.

Mel

yah, I've been noticing lately 'issues' with focusing in darker waters.. typically up here.. even on close ups... not having my reading glasses on UW, when I see the critter in the viewer, I figure it's in focus... NOT!!!... couldn't figure it out until you just mentioned it... I use a small focus LED light that usually works, but lately???
I dunno... just thought I'd share the pain... for distance shots, it usually works..
Sample:
http://www.poolesdive.com/gallerys/sunshine/index_6.htm
but have had problems even on close ups...
Not much help, but feel the pain... ;-))

I've had the "no-shot" problem more times than I can remember. There are two ways this has happened to me. One is that, if I use the zoom button, I've had times where the zoom in/out mode has stayed on. I try to shoot, but nothing happens. I have to get out of the zoom in/zoom out mode. I'm not sure why it sticks sometimes, its probably a case issue.

The second way seems to be related to auto-focus, but I think its more involved than that. My recollection is that I'll have the orange light flashing at me. That's related to the flash. Which is wierd, I'm usually in manual mode with the internal flash suppressed, and I am using an external strobe. I think the camera is deciding I need to have the flash, and is deciding that the flash is not charged, and won't fire because of it. I usually just stop the shot and try again, moving things around a hair and then it will fire. Maybe it has more to do with the camera deciding the internal strobe is "charged" than moving things around.

If you have a mini Q40 or similiar, Lisa, you can pop it on the back of your left hand (I use a velcro watch strap) and use it as an aiming light. Works nicely, cheap fix and I can get quite a few dives from one set of rechargeables. It has helped in a few low light situations so now I always carry it.

Yeah, I use the little AAA lite (same one?), just plastic-tie it to the camera on the diffuser.. will probably break off eventually, but works pretty good.. LED last forever..
Use a wire 6" fishing leader as a saftey strap...
but once it wasn't working right, the camera wouldn't focus.. just recently that I've noticed it... so not sure...??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom