A640 for underwater photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a A640 and found a Canon housing on E-Bay. Should I spend my money on the housing and a Strobe, or buy A Sealife System? Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mmm well i am not an expert, but the camera seems nice to work with any strobe, and the manual controls make it perfect to get some good shots. you can later sell it if you want.

I own an A640 with the Canon housing and I am very satisfied both underwater and on land. The manual settings give me full control underwater. I usually use the "underwater" color adjustment and sometimes the manual white balance functionality. The only drawback is the lack of "raw" format.
Re the Canon housing, it is rated for 40 meters / 130 ft. I often take it beyond 50 meters / 165 ft with no problem. It even went safely down to 58 meters / 190 ft - however at this depth the buttons get stuck ...
The A640 has no feature to connect directly with an external strobe, it is, therefore, necessary to use the built-in flash to trigger the external strobe, e.g. via a fiber optic.

I know many people that own sealife cameras, those who are honest will tell you dont do it. the system is attractive cause it comes with a housing and some with strobes but the problem is the camera is not very good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom