A6300 or RX100V?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will Nauticam's CMC series will get you to "macro" on the RX series? If yes, is the quality at least as good as what the RX camera is capable of?

Personally, I went from a m4/3 setup to a RX100ii and prefer the compact camera. I felt like a lot of the advantages of a larger sensor like narrow DOF control and high ISO are less relevant underwater. The 1" RX100 sensor strikes a nice balance between allowing a very small camera and providing very high quality images.

Having a built-in zoom lens is actually a plus in my mind over interchangeable lenses for an underwater rig. If you go for the RX100 setup, you can easily expand your shooting options with wet wide angle lenses or macro lenses. An A6300 can give you wide angle or macro options as well, but usually at a much higher cost or size. Additionally, using wet lenses allows you to even switch lenses mid-dive or at least in between dives on the boat without opening your housing.

An interchangeable lens does not preclude you from having zoom capability. The 16-50mm kit lens for A6xxx series is equivalent to 24-75mm - very close to RX100 III-V 8.8-25.7mm (24-70mm equivalent). Granted, it has a narrower aperture at 3.5-5.6 as opposed to RX100's 1.8-2.8, but this is mitigated by the significantly larger sensor. Nothing is stopping you from using wet lenses with A6xxx series either.

I had considered the A6000 myself, but in my mind if I was just going to use the kit lens, I thought why not go RX100 instead (if it's really just for using it underwater)? Maybe you get a bit better image quality with an A6xxx, but the 20MP 1" sensor on the RX100 is pretty good for me at least. The wet wide lenses that work with the A6xxx series are quite a bit larger and costlier than ones that can be used on an RX100. I don't know of any other than the Nauticam WWL-1 or Fantasea's UWL-09F.

I've been using the A6000 with the kit 16-50 lens inside a Meikon housing the last 2 years and absolutely love it for when I travel and dive. Have a Nikon D500 w/ plenty of glass for land, but I don't want to risk either underwater even if they are insured. The newer A6300 I would expect to be just as good. Manual controls, RAW file format, great video as well, and plenty resolution to crop without totally destroying the IQ. Here's a couple shots, one below and one above water. :) To be fair, the Bumble was shot with one of my Nikon lenses on the A6000 body.
_DSC0323e.jpg
_DSC8830.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom