A620 or SD550 ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O'Malley -

Even if you can't get wet it is worth putting the camera in the housing and practicing. It's good to have a feel for the housing and where all the controls are before you get underwater. You can also start to get a feel for where your minimum focus distance is and how strong the flash is.

I looked at both of these cameras. If one had RAW capability, that would be the kicker. Since they both do not, I like the A620. The new S80 does not have RAW either unlike the old S70.
This all depends on what cameras Ikelite is going to make housings for. The 130' limit on the Canon housings means the camera sits in the boat on the really cool dives. I'm still leanng towards a G6 - Dell has had it down at the $400 mark a couple of times now.

A620 also shoots video at 30 and 60 fps at 640 resolution and it looks awesome! A620 would be my choice between the two and it was, as I recently and happily purchased it. Also, that digic 2 chip is FAST! ALmost no shutter lag in certain modes. Good luck,

Why would the A620 be preferred over the S80?

a. The A620 is $150 less than the S80 (Canon cases same price)

b. S80 is 8 mgpixel while A620 is 7.1;

c. S80 has a WAL of 28mm vs A620 of 37mm (35mm equiv);

d. S80 has 2.5 inch LCD vs A620 2.0 inch

e. The macro capabilities appear to be just about the same

Neither has RAW and both have DigicII.

Or, why not the Olympus SP-310 which seems to have just about the same specs as the A620 but also has RAW, a larger LCD and is $80 cheaper (including the underwater casing)?

Or are there just too many choices?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom