A Washington DC tourist...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clgsamson

Koya Kap
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
may have the opportunity to attend a one week seminar in the city this May and will extend by 2 days for visiting museums, memorials/monuments, etc....

any recommendations or must see places in the DC area? will be free after 4pm for the first week (during the seminar) to do some sightseeing.

Thanks

Most of the museums are open until 5:30pm. An hour and a half per day is not a lot but may give you an idea of what to focus on for the 2 full days.

The metro system is great and will get you within 4-5 blocks of most sites within DC. A one day pass is $6.00 and good from 9:00am onward. Otherwise you can use fare cards or get a smart trip card for $5 and load it as needed.

There is about a 3-4 month wait to visit the white house, so if you want to do that, apply now.

The air and space museum is great if you like aircraft and the Udvar-Hazy center at Dulles is even better. Otherwise there are several museums along the Mall in addition to the must see monuments.

The lines start early at the Washington monument if you want to go to the top, so show up early when they open (8:30am) and get your ticket. They are free and give you an assigned time to show up for the tour. Plan on arriving early to get the ticket, but be flexible as it may be stamped anywhere from 9:00am to 5:00pm depending on how many were handed out before you arrived.

Baltimore's inner harbor is worth seeing if you have access to a rental car. The Aquarium there is great as are the Liberty ship, sailing ship and modernized Balao class Guppy sub that you can tour. There is also a destroyer that you can tour at the Navy yard in DC, but you have to schedule in advance.

There is so much to see in DC, it would really depend upon what kind of stuff you're interested in. DA Aquamaster gave some great advice there, but personally, unless you're really into planes, or if you're flying out of Dulles and are going out there anyway, I wouldn't go out to the Udvar Hazy center. Its kind of a PITA going out there, and there is more than enough to see just staying in DC and Arlington. Of course, that depends upon whether or not you have a car. If not, and you do decide to head out there, be ready to drop at least $30 on the cab ride out there.

So, like I said, tell us what kind of stuff you're into.

There is too much to see in a month, let alone a week, so it's a good idea to pick and choose based on your interests and then plan accordingly.

Is there anything in general or in particular you are interested in?

Driving a car in the DC area or in Arlington in particular is not one of life's more enjoyable experiences as the street plans seem to defy many of the normal conventions. My GPS navigation system even gets horribly lost in this area. If you rent a car get the navigation system though as you would be really lost without one.

There are also some good tour bus services as well as a bicycle tour option. If you have limited time, both can increase the ground you will be able to cover.

ok, some places come to mind....the washington monument, jeferrson and lincoln memorials, Cherry blossom trees area, national air and space museum, a walk in the national mall and pennsylvania ave. (white house and Capitol area) would be nice. Ford Theater, The Ellispe?, Vietnam memorial, Cicil War cemetery, Is Arlington cemetery nearby? and did I say photography is one of my hobbies?:D

Is the spy museum in the DC area? Old Ironsides (The Constitution ship)?

ps - will be staying at the Holiday Inn-Capitol (C street)

much oblige DA, Nick....

One of my favorites is the Anderson House, headquarters of the Society of the Cincinnati. Visitation and Tours It's usually one of the few places you can get away from the crowds. The tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Vietnam Memorial are pretty powerful visits if you have any connection to them. If it's early May there may still be cherry blossoms by the Jefferson memorial.

Old Ironsides is in Boston Harbor.

I could tell you where the spy museum is but I'd have to kill you.

ok, some places come to mind....the washington monument, jeferrson and lincoln memorials, Cherry blossom trees area, national air and space museum, a walk in the national mall and pennsylvania ave. (white house and Capitol area) would be nice. Ford Theater, The Ellispe?, Vietnam memorial, Cicil War cemetery, Is Arlington cemetery nearby? and did I say photography is one of my hobbies?:D

Is the spy museum in the DC area? Old Ironsides (The Constitution ship)?

ps - will be staying at the Holiday Inn-Capitol (C street)

much oblige DA, Nick....

The "Cherry Blossom" area is the tidal basin right by the Jefferson Memorial. Pretty much everything you mention is all right by each other so it won't be too hard to see. The Spy Museum is right by Ford's Theater, just make sure you get your tickets early, they tend to go kind of fast but it is a very cool museum. Arlington Cemetery is right accross the river in Virginia, an easy Metro ride (it has its own stop) and is also right by the Pentagon and all of the military monuments and memorials (the Iwo Jima memorial being the coolest if you ask me, but I'm biased). All of the museums are located on The Mall with the exception of the Udvar-Hazy part of the Air and Space which as mentioned is out at Dulles but the Mall Air and Space is still really cool too. Your hotel is two or three blocks over from The Mall, so you really shouldn't have a hard time finding your way over there. Really, you're within walking distance of everything you want to see with the exception of Arlington. And despite what some might tell you, DC (at least that area) is pretty safe, so don't worry about walking that area at night.

You won't run out of stuff to take pictures of, that's for sure.

As all have mentioned-the area is filled with history. If you are interested in the CIvil War, Gettysburg is about 2 hour drive from DC. Another vote for the Aquarium at Baltimore Inner Harbor. The Smithsonian museums will occupy most of your time. Visit the WWII memorial/Vietnam Memorial.

Be sure and visit your state rep and tell them what a great job they are doing.:rofl3:

Old Ironsides (The Constitution ship)?
The USS Constitution is in Boston, so I don't think you'll have time :)

Big thumbs up for the Air and Space Museum (both the one on the Mall and the Udvar Hazy extension), also the Building Museum is supposed to be really good. The Air and Space extension at Dulles has an SR-71 BlackBird among other cool aircraft, but it's time-consuming to get there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom