A video clip and a white balance problem with the Hero HD cam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here's a clip I made from a dive over the weekend on the Rouse Simmons off Two Rivers, Wisconsin. As you can see my cannister light was messing with the white balance (I think?) and turning everything red. Any ideas on how to fix this? The video was shot with a GoPro Hero HD cam mounted with the head strap. There is no white balance adjustment available. I shot a similar video a few weeks ago with a standard definition Hero cam and did not have this problem.

Any advice is appreciated.

The Rouse Simmons Shipwreck on Vimeo

Was this shot using the 720p 60fps setting. If so, you could try the 30fps 720p setting and see if that improves it a little. From the can lights it looks like there's not much ambient light and from the graininess of the video it sorta looks like the cameras auto gain (iso) is maxing out. Lower frame rate should help improve the overall light that the sensor can capture.

Cool effect though.. is sorta like vader vs Luke or something

Hi,
Sorry for writting in an old message, but did you fix this "red problem ".
I got the same.
Thanks
Mickael

Your light is creating that effect because it is not a steady beam and the auto exposure setting within the GoPro cannot adjust that quickly. This is also why you will have some underexposed frames when moving from a well lit area to a shadowed area and overexosed frames when first moving from a dark area to a light one. You might also want to try the Eye of Mine housing which is considerably better for underwater work.
Steve

Your light is creating that effect because it is not a steady beam and the auto exposure setting within the GoPro cannot adjust that quickly. This is also why you will have some underexposed frames when moving from a well lit area to a shadowed area and overexosed frames when first moving from a dark area to a light one. You might also want to try the Eye of Mine housing which is considerably better for underwater work.
Steve

thanks for explanations. but for me it was too much red, everytimes.
Gopro ask me to send back the camera.
for the housing, i will probably by the Sartek modified housing.
thanks
Mickael

Back
Top Bottom