A very old anchor in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its a 19th century anchor from the bricks wreck. Wilma uncovered it an local divers put it where you now see it. There is another anchor a bit south of the first one but nearly buried. Will try an find photo.

I posted pics of the two anchors and a buried boiler associated with wreck years ago on scuba forum but i have no clue how to post on this reply. Go to photos an search “bricks”

I posted pics of the two anchors and a buried boiler associated with wreck years ago on scuba forum but i have no clue how to post on this reply

You just hit "reply" and then "Upload a File" and then "choose file" from your computer. :)

Dont have file on my ipad it was uploaded to scuba forum years ago from pc

View attachment 461181 View attachment 461182

At one point someone had spelled out "wreck" with the bricks. Or I should say mis-spelled....

I've been looking for my video but no luck so far. This may take a while.

Edit: Found it! Not that I know anything about it... One thing I do know; using an orange filter makes everything green.

I just learned that "Wech" is the name of a Cozumel resident that works for Blue XT Sea. I guess it was not a misspelled word.

Its a 19th century anchor from the bricks wreck. Wilma uncovered it an local divers put it where you now see it. There is another anchor a bit south of the first one but nearly buried. Will try an find photo.

Given the apparent size and weight of that anchor, I'm really wondering how local divers moved that thing an inch ? (unless they got really serious and used big lift bags and made a big project out of it ?)

Given the apparent size and weight of that anchor, I'm really wondering how local divers moved that thing an inch ? (unless they got really serious and used big lift bags and made a big project out of it ?)

I'm surprised that there isn't more growth on it if it's that old, unless it was galvanized or something. Did they galvanize anchors 130 years ago? I once found a small, iron anchor in Southern California and it had 3-4 inches of growth on it and we don't even have coral (to speak of).

Its been buried for many years. Wilma in 2005 uncovered the anchor. Not as heavy as it looks. Not like the massive anchors associated with 16 th century ships. There was another anchor sitting out which was removed in the sixties an later ended up in chancanab
. Thats it leaning against wall aqua safari back in 60’s

Back
Top Bottom