A Tough Decision...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easy decision, definately get a console even if it is only for a backup. I rocked up to a dive recently with a dead computer (yes I checked it before leaving). Result, an aborted dive. Now Im getting an analog depth guage and a new computer.

cheers.....

Easy decision, definately get a console even if it is only for a backup. I rocked up to a dive recently with a dead computer (yes I checked it before leaving). Result, an aborted dive. Now Im getting an analog depth guage and a new computer.

cheers.....

Exactly right....everyone has an opinion...so here is mine for what it is worth.

Get a set of gauges first and then add a computer. Certainly it is your choice...but I really hate to see anyone become so reliant on a computer that they forget how to work dive planning using tables.

Computers these days are for the most part pretty reliable...and the current one I am using I have never had an issue with...but I have had them flood on me before. Having a backup is never a foolish idea. That plus the fact that buying a set of analog guages is hardly an expensive investment.

Everybody has his own opinion, but I loathed having a console. Having my gauges on my wrists makes them so easily accessible -- I don't have to grab something and pull it up.

Diving where I do, in low viz, a compass is a must even for new divers. A Suunto SK7 in one of DSS's wrist boots is a truly lovely thing.

The cost of a computer can be kept down significantly if you don't get an air-integrated unit. You'll save far more than the cost of a simple SPG and high pressure hose.

i went with a wrist computer (not air-integrated)with nitrox capability (you can get one for $300-$400 now), and a small console by Tusa i just tuck that little console in the front between the cummerbund on my BC and my tummy and i can easily retrieve it for a glance at my air pressure and tuck it back in. no big deal and it wasn't expensive. i have a separate compass on a retractor clipped to my BC.........don't always need it ya know? but it's there. been very happy with my decisions.

The first piece of scuba gear I bought was a computer. As a new diver I was kind of unsure about my ascent rate and wanted to make sure I stayed safe. Getting a computer with an ascent rate tracker and alarm makes me feel MUCH more comfortable that I am ascending at a safe rate. It's also nice to have all the extras saved in there for when you go to log your dive incase you forgot. Things like-water temp, exact bottom time, max depth, etc.

I personally reccomend getting a NITROX capable computer and an air gauge. There are many benefits in doing so including having an extra air gauge as back up if your computer is to fail. Also, if you are considering buying a computer, I would suggest a NITROX capable computer in case you decide to go NITROX later on. Many of the NITROX computers have a few more features and tend to be a little nicer than a regular air computer. Good luck with your decision!

It seems everyone is of the same opinion, you should have an spg and depth guage, even if you have a computer, this will act as your backup should a computer fail. Computer failure is rare, however, it has happened once to me in the last 10 years and once to my buddy. This is generally not an issue unless you have decompression penalties, but you are probably some way off from that stage. Besides, if you have deco to do, you will be using either two computers or have a slate with your deco plan on it.

You should definately buy a computer which does Nitrox from the start, else you will regret it in say 1 or 2 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom