A Three Hour Tour...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally made the bracket for the raw water pump today. Here is the pictorial as I progressed...

bracket01.jpg

Getting ready to start work

bracket02.jpg

Template ready to heat and bend

bracket03.jpg

Lower part of adjustment bracket bent

bracket04.jpg

Lower part cut to size, starting on the upper

bracket05.jpg

Upper part bent

bracket06.jpg

Upper and lower welded into one unit

bracket10.jpg

Drilling the pivot hole in the support brackets

bracket07.jpg

Support brackets aligned and welded to the base

bracket08.jpg

Aligning the adjustment bracket before welding

bracket09.jpg

Final bracket before painting and assembly

This was a fun project and I am reasonably pleased with the outcome. The pump's bolt slides easily through the adjustment bracket. It's a bit hot out today, but I might just go put it on anyway. I love to start what I finish!

You need a water jet or a CNC plasma in your garage!

Nice work. I can see you put a loooot of time into it.

I would be inclined to put a square on top to strengthen the bracket where it is welded to the mount. Then again I am an expert at breaking machinery...and tend to way overbuild stuff.

(I need to work on my trailer bunks tonight.)

I would be inclined to put a square on top to strengthen the bracket where it is welded to the mount. Then again I am an expert at breaking machinery...and tend to way overbuild stuff.
The adjustment bracket is not a flush mount. The two prongs extend to the bottom of the support bracket on the other side and are welded all the way down. They're not going anywhere.

This is the sort of thread you really have to be a mechanic to appreciate. People like me look at it and our eyes glaze over. I am certainly glad there are people like this in the world, but I am not one of them. Now my son, who just finished totally refurbishing an old boat by himself, would be posting all sorts of detailed questions and comments if he knew about this thread, which proves that heredity has absolutely nothing to do with mechanical genius.

I was looking at the entire bracket that is around 8 inches hanging off by only only a couple of welds. A flat plate like shown below would beef it right up and be easy to weld in. Bolting the pump in tight and tacking it would set your width and keep it there. As I stated though, I overbuild stuff, and I am sure it would be fine.

three hour tour.jpg

(Got my trailer bunk brackets cut out, edges softened, but I still have 32 holes left to drill, everything needs to be welded, then re-staple the carpet and reinstall the bunks onto their new brackets. That would be 1 out of 15 projects completed.)

I was looking at the entire bracket that is around 8 inches hanging off by only only a couple of welds. A flat plate like shown below would beef it right up and be easy to weld in. Bolting the pump in tight and tacking it would set your width and keep it there. As I stated though, I overbuild stuff, and I am sure it would be fine.

View attachment 126395
I like it! It has to go on the bottom due to clearances, but I will do that before I install. Thanks!

(Got my trailer bunk brackets cut out, edges softened, but I still have 32 holes left to drill, everything needs to be welded, then re-staple the carpet and reinstall the bunks onto their new brackets. That would be 1 out of 15 projects completed.)
I love to create. Some people think we are nuts putting in the time and energy into things like this, but I enjoy it. Yeah, there are some people out there creating junk, but for those of us who aspire to be artisans, the results are often better than what the professionals can do. It's far beyond "make do".

This is the sort of thread you really have to be a mechanic to appreciate. People like me look at it and our eyes glaze over. I am certainly glad there are people like this in the world, but I am not one of them. Now my son, who just finished totally refurbishing an old boat by himself, would be posting all sorts of detailed questions and comments if he knew about this thread, which proves that heredity has absolutely nothing to do with mechanical genius.
The fun thing about a forum is that you get to share your passion with others. Some will be able to relate, some will admire while others will shake their heads and wonder why we bother. :D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom