A tale of two dive sites on Friday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parsch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was lucky enough to get out diving on Friday and avoid what I assume was a busy weekend in the water.

The first dive was at Porteau during low tide (11am). We didnt get much lower than 45' and visability was extremely poor. (anywhere from 1 to 2 metres).

I spent the better part of the dive paying very close attention to my dive buddy rather than anything else. I love Porteau on a good day but with very little vis the dive became more of a training session than an enjoyable rec dive.

Second dive we decided to hit the Cut at Whytecliff. As a new diver (less than 20 dives) I have only been in the cove for dry suit training.

When we dropped I expected similar viz conditions to Porteau. This was not the case. We had anywhere from 20-30 feet of vis below 20 feet and I couldnt believe my eyes! We hung close to the wall working our way to the anemone gardens and I think our max depth was about 65'. I had no idea how much life there is along the wall and being able to read the lettering on my buddy's dry suit from 10 feet away adds an additional level of comfort.

I think this was the best vis I have experienced in and around Vancouver since I started diving early last year. Compared to my experience at Porteau a few hours earlier, my dive at Whyteclif was unbelievable. Talk about a tale of two dive sites.

Sounds like a great Wyitecliff dive! I've often been amazed at how much visibility can vary between sites which aren't very far from one another. Anyplace that's shallow and current-insensitive seems to suffer much more from the blooms; places where the current runs seem to be clearer, but you can't dive them as freely.

Back
Top Bottom