A surprise...more RAW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK...I admit, I am not above shoving my rig into a hole and pressing the trigger to try to capture elusive quarry. Sometimes I get lucky but mostly I get a butt or just the back of the hole...if I am really doing well I remember what I was trying to get, though sometimes I just think "what was I doing??"

So yesterday I saw a great bright red shrimp on the tip of a moray's head. Of course, said moray was way down a hole and the shrimp jumped off in a flash of red, not to be seen again. I shrugged and concentrated on a different moray for a while, thinking to go back in a few minutes. Only, when I went back, the first moray had slithered to the adjacent hole with his tail sticking out...not the best angle. No sign of the little red shrimp. Just as I started to look away - a glimpse of red.

No way to get in there, though. But just enough room to stick the Oly (luckily I didn't have the new tray or strobe on!) in the hole and hope for the best (and pray there wasn't yet another moray to get snotty with having his home invaded - yesterday's dive was like a minefield of morays). Well, lo and behold...there were actually TWO little red guys - I did not know that until I downloaded and fiddled in PSCS. This picture will not grace the cover of a major magazine coming to stores near you soon, but for a grab shot of a memory I am quite happy :D Of course, I am often pretty easy to please, too!

But the neatest thing was seeing what I would have once tossed out without a glance becomes a keeper - well, close to one anyway. RAW wins again. Pic one is right out of the camera. Pic two is exposure adjusted in the RAW converter of PSCS. Haven't done anything else to it - will remove backscatter and print a test out later. Gotta love it :eyebrow: .

Could the same be done with such an underexposed shot in SHQ? Dunno, I tossed 'em all out. Would the quality be the same? Again, dunno maybe someone else will have a similar experience and we can check it out...

Views welcome!

Great pics, Funny when i stared to read your story i thought to my self for a split sec, " this guy is got to be kidding!" I thought you were refering to sticking a speargun into a cave or hole and shooting blindly. Silly me. I must try this with my trusty sony digital camera and see what surprises i might get.

LOL...that would indeed be very bad karma!

But I highly recommend the very careful use of this technique - just remember, holes are often homes and I am a firm believer in the right to defend your home!

lol.....That's what we did when I woke up caught the buglar crawling at the foot end of our bed - Always good to have a spear gun on display in the bedroom :D

I love those surprise shots - kinda like - now where did that come from? Glad you got to go out again:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom