A second strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first question is what do you want the strobe for? Wide angle or fill flash on macro?

If you want the flash for fill on macro, the YS-30TTL Duo operates as a TTL flash without a sync cord. I'm not sure if any of the other Sea & Sea flashes are capable of this, or what their applications are. If you buy another strobe, factor in to your budget the second arm, possibly a new tray (for dual arms), and a dual cord if the strobe requires it.

Any other brand strobe capable of cordless TTL sync will also work with your existing strobe (eg. an Ikelite with cordless TTL slave module).

Hope this helps!

Ben

Like Ben said...it depends on what you want it for.

I have an old YS-50 and use a YS-30 as a slave for fill-in om wide angle and macro both. Since it's a slave and not connected to the camera, I've gotten some interesting shots by having my buddy hold it at different angles!

Sea & Sea's new YS-90 DX can either be used as a slave or used with a sync cord. It has 12 power settings in manual mode. I think it would be great as a 2nd strobe although I would probably use it as a primary.

A tip for slave strobes...Be aware that other photographers' strobes can and will set yours off...which at the very least runs down your batteries.

We have an older MMII setup...

Our primary is the YS 300 (yes, it will take a picture AND fry the fish at the same time! :wink: ) with a YS 50 as the "fill in" strobe.

Both are TTL through a connector block.

~SubMariner~

Hello,

In the underwater realm you can never take to much light with you. You can never go wrong with a second strobe either. You do have some drawbacks associated as well.

Ed

First, blacknet is right on the money. You can never carry too much light with you. If you have too much, you can either manually adjust the output or let TTL do the work. If you don't have enough, you are just plain out of luck.

Now, in terms of what strobe to add. One school of thought is to have two of the same strobes. Some say this creates a flat picture, but I think that is hogwash. If you want to vary the light, just adjust the strobe angle. Two of the same strobe output eliminates the problem of unbalanced light for certain shots, especially in wider angle work, where you would more likely be using manual strobe control.

The second school of thought is go with a larger unit. More light is better, right? But it does present some complications. Unless you are purposely trying to highlight an object on one side or another, you've got to set your strobes at different outputs. If you are trying to capture an object in close focus wide angle and the subject is on one side of your frame, you face a daunting task of trying to get the correct strobe output on both strobes. Often, you will compose a shot where you wish the larger were on the other side.

I would go with another equal strobe.

I would also stick with another Sea & Sea. If you go with slave mode, it doesn't matter as much, but mixing strobe brands complicates dual sync cords and arm attachments.

I own three Ikelite SS200s and one Nikonos SB-104. I shoot two SS-200s on my housed system and use the other two as single strobes on Nikonos V's. I'm a big Ikelite fan, but again, I think you would be better served with another Sea & Sea. Remember, keep equipment and setups simple, let your task loading be strictly composing the shot.

Hello,

As to the size ratio among strobes you want one big and one smaller one, then start working on other big ones. The reasoning is simple. With a big/small strobe there'll be very few cases you'll be ill preped for. Remember a strobe is a tool used in a specific job, if you have 2 tools identical your job range is the same. If you have 2 different type tools your job range is MUCH wider (job range tool 1 + job range tool 2 + combination job range tool1 and tool 2 combined)

Ed

Back
Top Bottom