A Scuba death in Cayman Brac????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dyvingluvly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any information on the scuba death in Cayman Brac last week?? All I know is that it was a female experienced diver that signaled that she was going back up to the surface and was spitting up white foam and blood.

I received an email from a dive buddy that was actually on a dive trip with approximately 16 - 26 divers. There were 2 boats of divers. The female diver was at 60 ft and signaled that she was ascending up to the surface because she was low on air. No one in the group knows why she went up, or why her buddy didn't ascend with her. She was an experienced diver. We believe she ascended too fast, she made it up to the surface - signaled with her distress horn, but was frothing at the mouth blood and whitish bubbles. When the divemaster from the boat got to her, she had stopped breathing and had no pulse. When they got her on the boat CPR was administered, but she had expired. She was flown to the main island and is still there pending an autopsy. I have looked online for any information, but to no avail.

The group stayed at the Brac Reef Beach Resort. I am not sure who was the dive operator. I received an email at work on Friday, that the accident happened on Thurday. I received the information from a reliable source (my dive buddy was on the trip) and was on the plane when they were transporting the body to Grand Cayman. I met the person who died last year in Barbados. I was soooooo sadden to hear the news.

I also heard of the incident but I know about the same as you dyvingluvly the only thing I can add is that I believe the woman is from Chicago. She was from what I understand very experienced which leads me to believe that something more than a low air situation caused her to surface. Having said that you never really know with these situations.

To Windy City Seals Club members and friends,

It is with great sadness that I write to you concerning the passing of our club member, Cheryl Dennis, during our dive trip to Cayman Brac last week. I'm sending this message to keep everyone informed of what has happened up to this point and the upcoming steps in finalizing her funeral arrangements.

On July 13th Cheryl was on her second dive of the day near Little Cayman when she became separated from her buddy while returning to the boat. After other divers returned to the boat they saw Cheryl on the surface a distance away and informed the dive master that she would need to be picked up. The dive master signaled to the remaining divers completing their safety stop to return to the boat and then swam out toward Cheryl with a fresh tank. When the last diver boarded the boat the captain drove to Cheryl's location where she was found unconscious with the dive master trying to revive her in the water with mouth to mouth. After she was brought on the boat CPR and oxygen were administered and an Automatic Electronic Defibrillator was attached. Paramedics met the boat at a dock in Little Cayman and Cheryl was transported to the clinic on the island where CPR, epinephrine and electronic defibrillation were administered without success.

At this time Cheryl's body has been transported from Cayman Brac to Grand Cayman for an autopsy and arrangements are being made in Chicago for her funeral through:

Andrews Funeral Home
(773) 476-5188
3240 W 79th St
Chicago, IL 60652

An exact date for the funeral has not been set yet and is dependent on the time necessary to complete the autopsy. I have been communicating with authorities in Grand Cayman as well as with the funeral home and will send out an update as soon as I find out.

As an only child, Cheryl moved back to Chicago a few years ago to see to the care of her mother. If you would like to send a card or donation, please send it in care of her mother. Her address is:

Mrs. Nafamier Dennis
9309 South Wallace
Chicago, IL 60620

Everyone who met Cheryl knows what a special person she was and what life she brought to our club and to her former club, the New Orleans Bon Temps Divers. She was never without a smile and made a positive impact on everybody she came in contact with. As my club treasurer and personal friend, I am going to miss her dearly.

Please keep Mrs. Dennis and our club in your prayers as we move through the healing process.

So sorry for the loss of your friend. Thank you for posting these details.

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom