A safe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Found a .22 rifle in a quarry once. Kind of assumed it was either stolen or used in a crime...otherwise why throw it a quarry. Turned it over to the police ( requesting it be returned to me if they didn't need it) who researched it and when they found no record of the serial number as stolen and no evidence it was a part of a crime actually did return it to me anout 6 months later. Cool souvenir
Gary

I have found a bunch of safes and they need to be turned in or reported. Different jurisdictions have varying interest levels. One example was a small safe robbed from a doctors office at gunpoint that contained narcotics and was later thrown off a bridge. This evidence was later used against seven folks that had a long string of robberies and a capital murder of a cab driver.

Any such evidence of a crime should be located and reported to the police. It may be a key piece of evidence an investigator is looking for.

I was on a S&R team and during a training dive in a Lake Erie bay, a kid on the team found four rifles tied together. The looked to have been down for less than a week since not much was growing on them. He wanted to keep them but the captain insisted on calling the police. They found the owner somehow and called him. When the police called him he was surprised to learn that they were not in his gun safe in the house. He had recently left his wife and I guess she decided to throw his hunting rifles in the bay. It makes you wonder what else she tossed of his before he was done moving from the house.

On a pleasure dive in the same bay a guy on the team found what he thought was a large safe. The vis was less than a foot but he was able to identify it as a safe. He called the S&R Team, police, wreckers and news media. When the wreckers lifted the safe out of the water it turned out to be a Kenmore dryer. It did make both the 6:00 and 11:00 news and we never let the guy live it down.

On a pleasure dive in the same bay a guy on the team found what he thought was a large safe. The vis was less than a foot but he was able to identify it as a safe. He called the S&R Team, police, wreckers and news media. When the wreckers lifted the safe out of the water it turned out to be a Kenmore dryer. It did make both the 6:00 and 11:00 news and we never let the guy live it down.

What?!?!?!

No one called Geraldo Rivera?

Safes are a good find for a dive team. A lot of times in bad vis you find a heaavy square object half buried in the mud under a bridge and think it is a safe, but it is usually a stolen newspaper vending machine.

I found a vehicle in a river near a boat ramp and tried to see if there was a body(s) inside, but it was full of sand. I called the sheriff's dept and reported it. The truck had been underwater it looked like for at least 10 years. They notified their dive team and i never heard anything back about it, so I assume it was just a vehicle disposed of.

I did find a newspaper stand on the santa fe near a bridge, but the viz was so good that it was easy to identify.

ONE word of caution ! If you do find soemthing that you belive might be stolen, do NOT try to bring it up, yourself. According to the local laws , jurisdictions, etc.,, YOU may be charged with receipt of stolen property. Report it.

Back
Top Bottom