A question of service.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi-
I bought Apeks setups (T-50/40) three years ago for my wife and myself. While I have been diving and using mine my wife has been busy with two young children (breastfeeding and suchlike) so hasn't used hers at all yet. She is planning to resume diving next month. As hers is therefore still new and unused - but 3 years old - would it be advisable to get it serviced anyway before she uses it?

KimLeece:
Hi-
I bought Apeks setups (T-50/40) three years ago for my wife and myself. While I have been diving and using mine my wife has been busy with two young children (breastfeeding and suchlike) so hasn't used hers at all yet. She is planning to resume diving next month. As hers is therefore still new and unused - but 3 years old - would it be advisable to get it serviced anyway before she uses it?

I would at least check to see if the second stage poppet seat has taken a set, which would lead to an annoying leak. This is typically the first part that encounters problems with a reg that is stored over a period of time. It is the main reason why a reg that was working fine when put away develops a slight free flow on the next dive.

A reputable tech/shop should provide a routine functioning test of the reg for a minimal fee. I feel that this is good business practice that enables a customer to see that a shop is customer oriented. When I perform such routine examinations, it takes me only around 10 minutes to do so.

With a reg utilizing an adjustable breathing effort, one should always store the reg with the adjustment in the fully open position. This helps to minimize the seat depression that I mentioned earlier. This simple step moves the poppet seat away from the sharp faced orifice. It can easily double the service life.

Greg

The reg is most likely fine, but I would hook it up to a tank and make sure everything is still working properly. Ditto on storing the reg with the adjustment all the way out in the future.

One advantage to staying within the service periods on Apeks gear is the warranty -- Apeks will pay for the parts if you service your reg annually (I believe parts are changed every other year).

Greg Barlow:
With a reg utilizing an adjustable breathing effort, one should always store the reg with the adjustment in the fully open position. This helps to minimize the seat depression that I mentioned earlier. This simple step moves the poppet seat away from the sharp faced orifice. It can easily double the service life.
Greg
Thank for the answer. I presume that by 'open' position you mean with the Venturi lever fully to the + side?

A "venturi lever" doesn't do anything to the pressure against the seat, so don't bother. It moves a little vane that directs incomming air either into the middle of the regulator or directly into the mouth. I think that Greg was talking about the other kind of breathing effort adjustment.

-Tiny-B.

Tiny Bubbles:
A "venturi lever" doesn't do anything to the pressure against the seat, so don't bother. It moves a little vane that directs incomming air either into the middle of the regulator or directly into the mouth. I think that Greg was talking about the other kind of breathing effort adjustment.

-Tiny-B.
Ok - thanks - I got it - the round screw/wheel type adjuster. Well we were lucky, I just checked my wifes regs and the screw was in the open position - great. It's only on the TX-50 so I presume the TX-40 should be ok.

KimLeece:
Ok - thanks - I got it - the round screw/wheel type adjuster. Well we were lucky, I just checked my wifes regs and the screw was in the open position - great. It's only on the TX-50 so I presume the TX-40 should be ok.

The TX-40 would actually be the one that most likely would develop the free flow condition. It, by design, has the poppet forced against the seat by a set spring tension. One simple test is to pressurize the reg and then turn off the tank valve. Check the SPG pressure, and then recheck it in an hour or so. If the pressure has dropped by more than 200psi/15bar, then you've got a fairly good leak in a pressurized area. This would constitute a rebuild. This is only a simple test, but one that can serve as a rough screening. You can also pressurize the system and place the second stage in a bucket of water. Turn the mouthpiece down or sideways to allow the stage to fill with water. After filling, turn the mouthpiece up and watch for bubbles to appear. If they do so, then the second stage poppet seat is mostly likely leaking.

Remember, these are just basic tests....I am not advocating that they are a service test. I often carry these simple tests out while I am at a dive site, just as a between service screening. You might also want to invest in a small intermediate pressure gauge that attaches to a BCD inflator hose. This will allow you to monitor the intermediate pressure of the first stage and gives you an indicator of if the pressure is remaining stable.

Food for thought....

Greg

Thank you Greg - I'll try those tests tomorrow. I'm taking in my regs next week for their annual - so to be on the safe side I'll take my wife's regs as well. After all - it is my wife - so I don't mind a little extra cost for the security. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I take her for a checkout dive - and her reg starts to freeflow! It wouldn't be too dangerous around here as the water depth off Shikano-shima is 10m max - but she'd probably kill me for it!!!

By the way - where could I find one of those LPG pressure monitors that I could get shipped to Japan - and how much are they about?

KimLeece:
By the way - where could I find one of those LPG pressure monitors that I could get shipped to Japan - and how much are they about?

I bought a couple of of intermediate pressure gauges last year in the $20-30 USD range. Your local dive shop probably doesn't carry them but will be able to order them up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom