a question of lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sasq

Registered
Reaction score
ok, I am new to the whole underwater photography scene, I have been playing in darkrooms since I was 5 though :wink:

I have an Ixus 700, with underwater housing - just something I picked up that wasn't going to break the bank and I could at least get some shots, that even if not award winning, at least let me remember.

you can see what it produces here

Osezaki is non PS'd, Saipan has some very quick PS filters.

now the Ixus is a great little camera, and even does reasonable on video recording. a few problems however, the camera has no hotshoe/external flash mount. that and the flash doesn't light up my bedroom let alone travel well under water.

I am more interested in constant light anyway, as opposed to a flash.
So what are my options, sugestions etc?

And before you ask, no, I didn't do extensive searching in here - I did try a little - but I really at this point have no idea even what to search for.

Thanks for any and all help.

Dan

Couldn't get that link to work, BTW....

As far as your options are concerned, you may still be able to get an external strobe to work with your camera. If you use an optical slave sensor, you can attach a reflector or fiber optic cable to the housing which can sense the internal flash and fire the strobe. My INON stobes for my C5050 work that way, and may work with your setup. Just have to have a way to mount the camera. If it has a standard tripod mount on the bottom of the housing, it should be no problem. The other option would be to go with a good set of video lights, but they may not be cheap either.

link fixed now.

I do have a standard tripod mount on the bottom of the case, I have been considering maybe a smallish light oneside and a slave strobe, but again, I am not sure what whattage I should be looking at.
nor brands etc (will check out INON later)
LDS's here in tokyo are few, usually only carry the cream of the crop equipment - or wallyworld level and generally require the selling of your kidneys and or soul to purchase anything.
So even window shopping and purchase on the net is difficult for me.

Warren_L:
My man Yuzo is in Japan, so I would contact him first. http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com.

great thanks for the link, I have been trying to find a local supplier that still wasn't stuck in the 'bubble, locals will pay premium' mindset.

*to make the point, my dive club - not the local LDS - wants $1500 in the local for a stock 5mm 2 piece custom wet suit. :11:
lets not even talk about camera gear, makes my wallet, bank account and spare kidney cringe.

I would consider Inon strobes - they won't give you a constant light source as you indicated you'd like, but they are fabulous for photos.

I believe there are several out there who use an HID or similar to light their shots. You won't have as much creative control with a "torch" but you will get something that will bring light to you subject and that will remain on.

Ikelite 50 strobes are also a good bet.

You might also consider the Sea & Sea range of strobes - many people have used these for years with good results. I beleive the most common one is the 90. You might even be able to pick a used one up via ebay or similar.

I think the "best" way to connect a strobe to your setup is to utilise a fibre optic cable. This attaches easily and the strobe is triggered by your internal flash. You cover the internal flash (at least with the Inon) and reduce it's power - you need just a tiny bit from the internal as the external is what is lighting your scene.

HTH

Sorry for lack of response and thanks - work has been hell

I shall look into a fibre optic cable set up as soon as I can
Thanks for the tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom