A new view of Texas' artificial reef program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was reading my new Lone Star Outdoor News yesterday and I came across a really short blurb about a new program in the artificial reef program.

TPWD Artificial reef

This article isn't dated, but appears current. It's stuff I haven't seen before.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
This link is included in the first article, but I think it has the best information.

Workshop Summaries

I think it gives more understanding of what is (and isn't) going on.

TwoBit

This was discussed quite a bit back in May/June. Check out this CHUM thread that talks about the meeting and includes reviews from those who attended the meeting. I was one of those who attended.

Michael, I've seen that. Intersting idea. Where will the funding come from? What kind of materials will be used?

Reef, I either missed the discussion, or don't remember it, or it didn't happen here.

We muck dive in lakes, why can't we muck dive in the gulf too?

Yup, reason number two.

At least the links do have some new information, or more information.

The first link mentions a public comment period in November.... has that happened?

TwoBit

I think TPWD held a meeting around Oct. 12 to present the final draft and not one person showed up. I talked to a TPWD member who said there didn't seem to be much interest in the program and said off-the-record that he didn't think much would come of it.

If you read the "Mission Statement" it talks about raising money from public and private donations. The project is based on the project in Alabama that has a private reef program were individuals build the reef or pay companies to build the reef.

http://www.texasgreatbarrierreef.com

They had a golf tournement last month and raise alot of money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom