A Near Miss at CSSP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveDaddyDale

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just a close call, but a valuable lesson learned for me.

I dove CSSP Sunday, August 25, 2013. First dive no issues, was finally well trimmed and balanced using my AL80, SS bp, Hollis 25# wing, 0 weights, new OMS Slipstream fins, 3.5mm Waterproof Steamer, 7mm Oceanic boots. Did a 40 minute dive at 36ft.

After a 1hr surface interval I went back in to test my rig with a Steep HP100 to see if I could swim it up with no air in bladder (I could not=rig not balanced).

As I was walking down the platform stars with my full rig on except for fins and mask, I slipped on the first step and hit the metal stairs hard on my right side. Jarred by the blow and weighted as I was I quickly slid down 7 more stairs bouncing off the edge of each step along the way. I knew I was headed for the water without my fins and mask on and with my primary regulator still neatly clipped off to a chest D ring. I managed to grab hold of the steel railing and caught the crook of my arm in a post which stopped my slide. Ouch, I was hurting from the fall and the bounce.

I sat on the bottom stair for around 10 minutes while I recovered from the surprise and shock of the fall. I was hurting all along my right side where I had done the big slide. After 10 minutes I recovered my breath and senses and considered calling the dive due to pain. But instead, I tool off all my gear and checked each item for damage. Regulators OK, tank OK, Hoses and gauges OK, no air leaking and all my gear seemed in good working order.

I decided to continue the test dive (to check for rig balance) and stepped off the lowest stair carefully into the water. I was confident but cautious so I just hung around the platform and stairs for a few minutes re-checking connections and gear for damage. I descended to 10ft several times and came back up to the surface to triple check and then continued my test dive.

BTW; as I said I am over weighted with the HP100 and the SS bp. I am going to switch back to an aluminum bp to see if shedding 4lbs helps.

Just thinking through the "What If's":
  • What if I had had not been able to grab the rail to stop my slide?
I might have entered the water without my reg in my mouth
I might not have been able to swim myself to the surface without my fins

• What if I had been knocked out by the fall?
    See above possibilities
Well, there you have it. Not a super serious situation, but could have been much worse.

You can bet that I was (and shall continue to be) much more careful when descending and ascending platform stairs!

Yeah even a stairway entry and exit can be dangerous if you're not careful. I frequently enter/exit on rock shores and have had several close calls only. You weren't the only one there, were you?

Because i was only going for a brief rig balance check dive, I was solo. Yes, made me think twice about that choice :)

I sure am relieved you are alright. It's these kinds of accidents that worry me regarding solo diving. That's why most of my "solo" dives are off a boat where I at least know that there are people on the surface who see me get in and out and know where I'm going and when to expect me back.

As for your rig, the AL plate should help. I use one with my LP95 and AL80 in the warmer months and a steel plate with an AL80 in the colder or saltier dives. The switch to AL also helped me trim out the LP95 as I was top heavy with a steel plate.

Dolphin Scuba had a nice generic "storm" plate and webbing for $60-$70 that seemed a good deal to me.

Where/What is CSSP?

One of my instructors was adamant about keeping your reg clipped off until you were in the water. This was to prevent losing track of it, and dragging it through the sand or something.

I never thought that was a good idea, and always worried about a scenario like this. I keep my reg in my hand or my mouth until I am far enough onto dry land that there's no way I can trip and land in an inch of water.

A few years back, we lost a diver locally who was walking on some rocks prior to entering the water and fell. He was negative and may have struck his head in the fall -- at any rate, he didn't come up and his buddy couldn't find him until it was too late. Ever since then, if I am approaching the water, my wing is fully inflated (unless we're doing a hot drop off a boat). And of course, I have my backup reg under my chin, which has come in handy on more than one occasion, since I am given to falling both getting in and getting out.

Glad you came through unscathed, and think about the inflated wing thing . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom