A matter of Leakage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoTJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Malibu, CA is where I spend most of my dive time.
# of dives
I just don't log dives
How many of the photographers here have had a leaky housing? Had a camera drown? I'm asking because someone told me today that it ALWAYS happens. (His emphisis, not mine.)

I've been snapping pictures for a couple of years now, and have never had a leaky housing! I mostly use Ikelite housings and I find as long as you take care of the O-rings you shouldn't have a problem. Safe Diving!:cool:

I have had three housing leaks, both caused minor damage to the cameras that were housed in them (two oly housing and one sea and sea housing). One minor strobe leak (sea and sea) and one strobe completely destroyed due a leak (ikelite).

All were O ring prep leaks except the last one.

Its just a matter of time - but a leak does not mean that you will necessarily trash your camera.

so far, but that one was enough to totally trash a Oly C3000. It was my own fault though I bought a used housing and didn't check it thoroughly enough before taking it down to 85'.

And thats after roughly 200+ rolls in two different camera setups (both film). Details, details ; NEVER neglect cleaning your O-rings just before your next dive ! Just wiping the few sand grains off the outside of the ring doesn't count . Take the entire thing out of it's groove and thoroughly clean both the ring and the seat it sets in. Also remember "less is more" when you're lubing the rings. The lube doesn't seal anything and the more you pile on, the more grit it will attract, and that WILL will ruin your seal!

onbelaydave once bubbled...
Also remember "less is more" when you're lubing the rings. The lube doesn't seal anything and the more you pile on, the more grit it will attract, and that WILL will ruin your seal!

Yep, all you're trying to do with the lubricant is keep the o-rings supple. The o-ring itself is the seal.
TedJ

Knock on wood...tap tap tap....no camera housing leak. I flooded a strobe sync cord by not having it tight and I had a YS30 slave strobe that flooded 3 times in a row before it was discovered it had bad battery caps, which S&S replaced.

I've always heard the same thing. It's not IF you flood, it's WHEN you flood.

INVEST IN A MOISTURE ALARM!

My first time u/w with my Nikon 995 and housing. I had dragged my feet the whole trip and finally decided to take it down with some convincing from my buddy. I took a couple of pictures (I'm a newbie in u/w photography) turned the carmera around to look at it and saw the moisture alarm flashing. Showed it to my buddy (an accomplished u/w photographer) he grabbed it and took it to the surface while keeping the lens facing up - this is what saved my camera!

Now I have to wait until next May to see if the factory corrected the problem.

Becky

240 dives on my first Oly PT-010 and never a drop of leakage. I am very particular with my routine. I now have a second PT-010 so as to be able to replace the tiny back panel plunger O-rings in the older one without down time. I will post step by step photos of that procedure on my PT-010 site in the very near future.

Back
Top Bottom