A loose thread on my wetsuit..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba newbie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Bare 7mm 2pc. On the shoulder there is a loose thread which I'm afraid will eventually start to unravel. Is there anything I could do to fix other then take back to lds to have them fix it or go to a seamtress?

Just pull on it. Those threads are just for show.

jonnythan:
Just pull on it

:11:

ok, that's the last time i follow your advice

jonnythan:
Just pull on it. Those threads are just for show.

:eek: Didn't you learn ANYTHING from :smileysto ???

scuba newbie:
I have a Bare 7mm 2pc. On the shoulder there is a loose thread which I'm afraid will eventually start to unravel. Is there anything I could do to fix other then take back to lds to have them fix it or go to a seamtress?

You can do like PUG said, or you can use a lighter to burn off the loose end of the thread, and then use a dab of either aquaseal or wetsuit cement to keep it from unravaling any more.

scuba newbie:

I have a number of BARE items and from my experinece and from reading other posts over time that is their weakness, seam endings. Other than that the make some great suits for the money and with their size selection allow many more divers to buy "off the rack".

I have been using a product called Seam Grip. It's sold through camping outlets like Campmor. It's original application was to seal the stitching on camping tents to make them water proof. If you apply just a drop of the stuff (like with a nail end) to the root of the loose thread it will set the end and dry to a clear and very flexible spot. I have actually spread some of this stuff out on wax paper and when dries it really is very clear and flexible. When dry any thread still sticking out of the repair can be trimmed closer.

Sometimes you may find that you can get the loose end back under an adjacent stitch and if you knot it off first so much the better.

It's not a constant problem and the gluing is actually where most of the seam strength lies. I have also read of folks who make a preemptive strike and just go ahead and tack seal all stitch endings.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom