a local (northern ca) introduction thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c5load

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
Just wanted to introduce myself, Mark, who along with my fiance Sheena, were just OW certified over the weekend. We live out in the Concord area, and are trying to get out to dive often as finances allow (wedding and scuba payments aren't too compatible). If anyone needs a dive buddy (well, two), feel free to let us know.
Anyone with recommendations of a decent LDS? We did our training at the Anchor Shack in Pacheco, but want to take a look at others. We've also seen Nautilus over in Concord.
Also, if anyone sees of any decent BCD/reg/tank/wetsuit deals around here, let us know, we're trying to piece our gear together as we go along.

look forward to diving with you all.

Hello
Welcome to Scubaboard, this is a good place to find dive buddies with various experience level and available diving days.

Hi Mark,

Welcome!

Craiglists is a great way to get gear; however, just be aware of what you're buying and be sure to get it checked out before taking it to the water. Just keep and eye out there and you'll find potentially great deals.

A dive shop I like is called "Steele's" (or more formally Original Steele's) at 60th and Telegraph in Oakland, near the border with Berkeley. I guess it's not really local for you, but I'm currently living in San Francisco and if I have a choice especially with big ticket items or if I need several things, I'd prefer to go to Steele's. The shop is family operated, and the owner Jim Steele is great. The shop itself isn't beautiful and at times is somewhat of a mess, but Jim only sells gear he trusts and for prices that compete with what you'd find online. If you are looking for anything in particular, just be sure to call ahead to make sure he has it in stock and that he is open (I think tues-sat, hours vary by day). Also, Jim is a great guy to talk for just general diving knowledge and usually there will be some other divers in the store chatting about something diving related.

Good luck and happy diving!

Jon

Congrats Mark and Sheena on the recent certification, and welcome to the diving obsession. You'll find a lot of great people to dive with on the NorCal sub forum. There are normally a couple of meet & greets each year that are a lot of fun and a great way to put faces to names.

Welcome! (from another diver in the Greater Bay Area)
I would second the craigslist thing, but possibly consider a new regulator, which is your life line underwater, and nothing to comprimise on. Wetsuits, spear guns, booties, and other dive bling is less crucial. At the minimum, have the gear looked at by a shop you trust, and have it serviced annually. This board is a great place to read for gear reviews, info and general information.

Keep my name for a potential dive buddy. I have taken my boat down to Monterey twice and I love the place. Don't forget to try the North Coast too.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom