A little travel advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
My husband and I are putting together a God's Pocket trip for October. We will be picked up in Port Hardy on October 10th, and come back the morning of October 14th. (That's Monday through Friday.) What we are hoping to do is schedule a day or two of diving on the way up and the way back, but our experience in Canada is pretty limited.

We have dived Whytecliff (and enjoyed it), and did the wrecks in Nanaimo when Ken's boat was running, and we spent a weekend on Saanich Inlet. Any of those would be fine, but we're also looking for input on other options. I don't know how many of the group of 12 would be up for these alternate sites, but probably at least several. We are all very experienced divers, most with tech and/or cave certs, and actively diving cold water.

Any recommendations for us to look into? Thanks in advance!

The Columbia artificial reef out of Campbell River. Quite a few sites in the area actually. I'm not sure who is running out of Campbell River anymore.

The Capilano and Sceptre Squamish wrecks out of Comox. Sceptre Squamish is 170ish so you need tech types to do that. These can be done on the same day with Bill Coltart out of Pacific Pro Dive in Courtenay.

As I am sure you know, Vancouver Island diving is really excellent. There are some nice dives to do on the way up to Gods Pocket (which is a fantastic operation with some great dive sites BTW). Just a few of the places I have been and plan on doing again include:

Snake Island Wall at Nanaimo - big dark atmospheric spectacular wall with some sparse but interesting marine life. I actually much prefer this to the artificial wrecks - used Sundown divers for boat last time which worked out well (was very sad to hear about Kens boat - they ran an excellent charter). If you don't mind a bit of a swim you can finish in the bay with the seals.

Tyee and / or Dolphin Beach north of Nanaimo - nice easy shore dives with lots to see with nice little walls and reef structure and good marine life. Parking is better at Tyee if you are going to have 12 divers. This would be a very easy option if you only have a short time and are traveling and don't want to do too much organizing. Any local dive shop should be able to give you directions.

Campbell River/Quadra Island - great diving in the passage in high current areas - best dives are boat dives (really like row and be damned) and need to run according to tide. It can sometimes be hard to organize a charter. You can leave or get picked up from Campbell River usually.

I really like the cloud sponges in Saanich Inlet, and even if you have done them for a weekend you might be surprised at what you can find if you do some other sites or even repeat dives. McCurdy Point is a good place to get some depth and there is interesting stuff to look at while decompressing.

If you are down south, then Race Rocks on a good day is great with Steller sealions and lots of other stuff - probably easiest charter is with Ogden Point dive shop (they do a regular trip on Saturdays).

Ogden Point breakwall is very good for critters and big lingcod, although shallow and a bit of a walk / swim. I don't bother walking along the breakwall anymore but just swim off the beach and snorkel out for about 20 minutes or until bored. But I am using doubles and carrying 2 big camera housings and walking is not the best way to move around.

I try and get back to Vancouver Island (and Gods Pocket) every couple of years - there is some great marine life and diving and September/October is a good time to go.

Thanks, both of you! The Courtenay/Campbell River area is kind of where I was hoping to find some ideas, although Race Rocks is on our "to do" list.

Give Peter and Simone a call at: Scuba Diving  british Columbia the Boeing 737 on Vancouver Island BC

They are associated with Andy and Virginia at:

Cedar Beach - Your home for Scuba diving adventures in British Columbia Canada

They are located on Thetis Island (just west of Galiano) and the diving is very good in the area. The nicest part is the hospitality you will experience...like visiting with old friends. Andy is a knowledgeable marine naturalist and author who really knows the critters. Many historic shipwrecks are in the area. Make sure you check them out.

Acanthurus and I dive with them as often as we can.

I'm thinking that perhaps shore dives on the way up to Port Hardy would be the way to go. A friend has suggested taking the Ferry to Sidney and doing some dives there.

Comments?

Bill's boat (Pacific pro Dive) is moored in Campbell River for the Winter, although the wall and/or reef diving here would be similar to Seven Tree island (browning wall), it may be worth the stop. As mentioned there is the HMCS Columbia, but also you run out to the SS Capilano and if the weather is OK, there is the MV Gulfstream with a lunch stop at Nancy's bakery in Lund. The run is same whether you depart from Comox harbour (Courtenay) or Campbell River.
Usually the boat comes from Courtenay to Campbell River around the same timeframe your trip is scheduled, if it worked out, you could get the best diving from Courtenay and Campbell River when you get here - same boat. The Septre Squamish would need to be done from Comox due to location, but there are some other sites worth diving, depending on what you are looking for. You can check out the boat on the website, although the bench in the middle has been removed, it now sports seating down both sides outside of the cabin and has seating for 10 inside. ATA-tude (Bill's boat) is tech diver friendly, although if your bringing multiple stages and DPV's it's going to get crowded with more than 6 -8.
Contact info:
Pacific Pro Dive - Bill Coltart
Ph: 18778003483
cell: 12503383219
email: bill@scubashark.com
web Pacific Pro Dive Ltd
Goodluck!

On the way up you could also go to the sunshine coast, maybe a charter or a few shore dives. possibly stay at earls cove, nice place with cabins. Then take the short ferry to dive mermaids cove and a few other dives in the powell river area. The shop and charters also go to the SS Capilano and other wrecks and dive sites. There is enough shore diving on the way up, then take the powell river ferry a short ride over to vancouver island and dive there or straight up to port hardy for god's pocket diving. Then on way back have your choice of dives on the island. If shore diving on way back and make it victoria and sidney, hit sidney ferry to galliano and it has some great shore diving there, deep wall dive also. then ferry takes you back to vancouver and dive vancouver. Any ways there are many shore dives and routes to take. I miss them, but remember everyone of them were outstanding. Study and enjoy.

Happy Diving

Lynne, I would second the suggestion of talking with Bill Coltart about diving in Campbell River in October. The drift diving offers some of the very best wall diving on the island. The diving is far better the what you will find in Victoria or Nanaimo. Bill's boat is great and he is an experienced technical diver himself. Can't go wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom