A little story about the Bowmouth Guitarfish (Rhina ancylostoma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool story Bowmouth :)

A little tip ... Head out to about halfway between North Point and Xmas Point ... at about about 25 to 35 meters maybe look down if you have to ... You maybe in for a nice surprise :wink:

Cool story Bowmouth :)

A little tip ... Head out to about halfway between North Point and Xmas Point ... at about about 25 to 35 meters maybe look down if you have to ... You maybe in for a nice surprise :wink:

THANKS!! :)
I will certainly do so next time I'm out in the Similans!!

I love these stories - you might think after 6000 dives you've seen it all, diving might get a bit dull ... and them WHAM - the holy grail, the fish you have never seen before.

I was on The Junk in 2001 with Mick - and how many dives has he done?! On a dive at Anita's Reef I saw 2 sea moths. I had not seen them before, had no clue what the **** these weird things were. Back on the boat I asked Mick about them... He was very excited - never seen one before, made me get straight back on the dinghy and take him off to find them again! It was Mick and Jay on The Junk that made me appreciate some of the small stuff - always good to dive with them.

Got to see my first Bowmouth guitarfish, but sadly only in the Pattaya Aquarium. Interesting to note, I did not see any identification of it on the signage around the tank. It is worth a visit if your in the area as they also have Coconut Crabs and axolotl (walking fish) among others.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to hear the Pattaya aquarium got a bowmouth and wonder where they got it from (Gulf or Andaman Sea).
I hope they keep it in a large tank so that the poor animal can at least swim laps and not bump against the glass all the time.

In Singapore in the aquarium on Sentosa they have some saw-fish. Now that's another creature I'd love to see when diving.

I'll be off to the Philippines tomorrow and will spend a month diving around Tubbataha and Palawan. Who knows, maybe I'll see a bowmouth there...

For what its worth, it is in a relatively large tank. Have fun diving. I am trying to put something together for July. Maybe the Philippines.

My first guitarfishes in thailand were all seen at once, 5! For about 100 baht a kilo at the Makro store in phuket town:(

That was a week or so before those 2 fisherman were arrested in chalong for having 75-100 plastic bags of rare fishes for sale from the similans. When they were arrested they still had the checklist for orders with them. 4 seahorses, 6 ornate ghost pipefish, 5 frogfish, you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom