A little regulator question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I have turned down the offer. I am now going back to my LDS and looking at getting
Regulator: Aqualung Titan LX Supreme, Apeks XTX40 or Apeks XTX50
Alternate: Aqualung Airsource 3
BCD: Aqualung Dimension I3
Gauge/Computer: Suunto Zoop with SPG

I am not looking at getting a drysuit at this time as I already have a 7mil wetsuit and a 6/4mil hooded vest to wear I just have to see if that is within my tolerance for the temperatures here (40F-65F depending on season) and I probably won't be doing too many dives once it starts getting colder anyway at least until I am more comfortable and experienced with diving.

I am leaning torwards the Apeks regs just liking some of the features, have been using the titan for classes though.

I would really hold off on the BC purchase until you can try a steel plate/wing set up.

You're mostly right thinking that the 1st stage is typically the problem in regulators freezing, but sometimes the 2nd stage does as well. There is WAY more adiabatic cooling in the 1st stage, but the site of this cooling is for the most part dry in diaphragm-type 1st stages, even ones without an environmental seal. With the 2nd stage, the pressure drop is much more slight, ergo less cooling, but of course the 2nd stage is also much more exposed to water. The things that make a 2nd stage more freeze resistant are usually better heat transfer from the water, meaning more metal/ fewer plastic parts, and (I believe) a toned-down venturi assist which slows air flow through the barrel and case. One of the most freeze resistant 2nd stages is the old SP 109/balanced/adjustable.

As others have said, I suspect that until you get a drysuit, you won't be in water that is really likely to freeze a regulator, it'll be your butt freezing first.

Get the steel plate, you won't regret it. And forget the octo/inflator. Get a real 2nd stage as an alternate and consider using it on a bungie necklace with your primary 2nd on a 5 foot hose. This gives you the benefit of the octo/inflator (i.e. you know where the alternate is) and none of the drawbacks, which are considerable.

There's nothing wrong with diving for a while and learning more about gear options apart from what you were taught in OW class, before you buy. Don't forget, the whole reason most dive shops teach classes is to sell the students gear. Unfortunately, most shops push the type of gear they generally stock, which is limited to a few big companies' very similar offerings to new divers.

Hey,

If you are looking for a good price point for quality gear why not check out HOG regs? Do a quick search, there is plenty of discussion to be read on them here on SB

Also, personally, I found online to be much cheaper than the local LDS with the exception of smaller items. You can always fit in store and order online :wink:

Hey,

If you are looking for a good price point for quality gear why not check out HOG regs? Do a quick search, there is plenty of discussion to be read on them here on SB

Also, personally, I found online to be much cheaper than the local LDS with the exception of smaller items. You can always fit in store and order online :wink:

I found being honest with the owners of some stores takes you further. I often get prices which are slightly higher then the online stuff yet I have their support.

I'm open with them regarding those items that are very expensive in store and I buy them online but I also do not waste their time trying to find the best fit and then ordering it online.

There are some shopping clubs whose members pay way less for say appliances but if the management of the club finds out that you went to another place, wasted their sales time and then came back and bought it through the club they will ban you and you loose your membership. That's a good tactic.

I hope you have your own compressor AaronRiot....

I would definitely check out the HOG regs. Also, once you fond a drysuit you like, I think you'll find that a BP/wing will feel much better with a drysuit than a wraparound jacket style BC.
If I lived anywhere near the Pacific NW, I would absolutely plan on a drysuit and year-round diving. The Puget Sound has some world class diving. I spent a year there and it's fantastic! Maybe not Galapegos or South Pacific but fantastic in its own way. Plus, diving in your own zip code year-round will build your skills so that you're not just a once or twice a year diver.

I do plan to eventually get a dry suit, I just wanted to get a better control of my bouyancy before I start adding a dry suit in. With my work schedule I will have plenty of opportunities to dive if I can find a buddy that has a comparable schedule and my wife lets me go. I tend to do a lot of research before I buy something so I am looking at everything including servicing fees for used equipment. While I am confident I could service my regulators myself I would need to see it done at least once just to make sure it makes sense in my head. I will check out the HOG regulator's which I knew at least one person would suggest just from reading other posts and also figure out if I do want to go with a BP/W.

Do not worry about adding extra task loading with a drysuit. If you can buy one from the start just go for it. You will not regret. People, including myself here ofter start diving a DS from day one. Some even get certified in a DS. (my friends did this spring) you will be diving more often as you will feel youself more comfortable. After about 10 dives you will be able to manage it.
Just do not waste your money ona thick wetsuit.

Well I already have a 7mil wetsuit, I purchased it after my first pool session knowing that I was planning to use it outside of the pool and got it for about the price of a good 3mil. I am down to looking for a BC or BP/W now as I have ordered a HOG D2 first and 2 HOG D2 seconds and SPG/Depth. Also picked up a Suunto Vyper dive computer in the wrist configuration pretty cheap off ebay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom