A little iffy about cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newdiver3

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Me and my dad are going to Akumal in August for diving. We've been down there 12 times but I've never done a cenote (snorkeling) Now I am recently certified so this trip we will be diving all the time. I really want to do a cenote, they sound awesome and I have heard some good stories about them. I guess I am just a little scared about the whole overhead thing. I really want to do it because I know I will be missing out and regretting it. I guess some reassuring would help for anyone who has dove a cenote. Thanks in advance!

Congrats on your certification!

Cenotes are amazing. It's good that you are aware that it's overhead and there are significantly more risks associated with diving this enviroment that in open water. Definitely not a place to be cavalier.

However, if you have good buoyancy control and are comfortable in the water, then the guided cenote dive can be a dazzling experience. On the other hand, if you are still figuring things out, then you should not go into the cenotes. The cenotes will be there for your next trip back to mexico.

Personally, it took me till around dive #20 to get comfortable in the water and have some situational awareness. Of course, everyone progresses at their own rate, but be honest about your skills.

There are some good threads on this topic the past couple of months:

* Cenotes for OW?
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=130471

*cenotes experience/certification?
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=122678

From Dennis' post (#23) in the above thread
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1425126&postcount=23
you can read the safety guidelines used, and what Dennis does to make sure that people are safe, comfortable, and having a good time.

If you are going to be in Akumal for many days of diving, I would do a guided cenote dive later on your vacation. While on the reef dives, take the time to work on your buoyancy, trim, and overall comfort in the water. Get a critique from the dive master too, and see where you are at.

Have a great time.

Thank you for all your information. I think that's a good idea about going later in the vacation. I think it really would be a great experience. I am pretty comfortable in the water but definately not over confident (far from it!) But I think once I get in the water I'll be okay. Thanks again!

Give these guys a call http://www.protecdiving.com/ ask for Bernadette. She is a great cenote dive guide. She even got my wife to go in to look at an iquana that was hiding in some rocks and my wife is afraid of lizards and water!

Regardless of you you pick, the dive ops in the "cenote zone" are very understanding and professional. I use Hidden Worlds. You are not the first, nor the last diver that was a little hesitant about cenote diving. I am glad I did it. The visibility in some seem to go on forever. They are something totally different and I personally enjoy them. They can get a bit nippy (75F) after long periods of time so a 3mm may be in order. Most cenote systems have several different routes the guide can take. Make sure to mention your concerns to the dive guide and they can select a route that feels less constrictive or has more frequent openings. I remember having concerns before my first cenote dive which for me, disappeared about 2-3 minutes into the dive. Remember this is a cenote not a cave dive. There are set exit distances that a route must take in order to qualify for as a cenote dive. I use a lot of air and my concern was running low or out of air. If you start running low, signal the dive leader and he will acknowledge you. He will then take turn and take a short route back to the start of the dive. In a cenote you use the rule of thirds. One third out, one third back and one third reserve. Guides are required to have double tanks so they have plenty of air to supply you in the rare case there is a problem. But there are so many openings throughout these systems that you can simply go to the nearest opening and surface. It is an extremely rare event to need to do this. Also the cenote routes are wide enough for several people to swim side by side but you always go in a signle file line. I believe the limit of divers to guide is 1 guide to 4 divers maximum. Guides are non judgmental. For whatever reason you need to surface, whether it be an equipment issue, bad feeling, there are no questions asked. The entire group will immediately proceed to the surface and there you can discuss the problem. It does not necessarily mean the dive is aborted. Maybe you need some air. Maybe your mask keeps flooding. Whatever. Take a few minutes and hopefully resolve the issue and continue on with the dive. And if you are still unsure I would suggest that maybe you do a snorkel first. Dive ops also offer snorkeling adventures to the areas near where the dives take place. You can maybe do a surface dive down a few feel and have a peek for yourself and then decide maybe to snorkel for a while and sign up for a dive later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom